Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Tim O'Reilly on Amazon used book sales & the intellectual commons

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:40:45 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Sara Winge <sara () oreilly com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:18:16
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: Tim O'Reilly on Amazon used book sales & the intellectual
  commons

Dave,

On his way out the door, Tim asked me to
send along a link to his blog posting from today.
He's written a letter to the Author's Guild,
supporting Amazon's stance in selling used books.
Jeff Bezos's original letter to authors, asking for
their support, and Tim's response are at:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/1291

IPers might be especially interested in Tim's closing
comments, where he ties the issue to the larger one
of copyright and the "intellectual commons":

I'll add here the thought that used books are an
important part of the intellectual commons, which
Larry Lessig so ably defends in his wonderful book,
The Future of Ideas. The idea that reselling used books
is somehow bad continues down a slippery slope that
our lawmakers, prodded by copyright interests, have
already traveled so far.

Cheers,

Sara

Sara Winge    sara () oreilly com
VP, Corporate Communications
O'Reilly & Associates
1005 Gravenstein Highway North , Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1 707.827-7109, Fax +1 707.829.0104, http://www.oreilly.com

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/