Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Prisoner of DVD

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 03:11:07 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: jspira () basex com

Dave, with all the talk about CDs actually complying with the CD specification, I thought you might find my DVD viewing experience of interest.

This evening I viewed the movie "Next Stop Wonderland" (Miramax, 1998). After the FBI warning, a preview for the movie "Guinevere" started. Surprisingly, the DVD's stop function was disabled (by the DVD) during this preview. My only choice was to watch the preview in order to watch the movie.

Usually, the disabling of the stop function is reserved for copyright messages and the like, but the idea that Miramax (or whoever puts the DVD together) is forcing the viewer to watch the preview is rather disturbing, on a variety of levels.

I wonder whether others have been force fed similar messages - and what the implications are in other areas. I can just imagine being forced to watch a commercial for Bounty paper towels before installing a piece of software.

Shame on Miramax!

Best.

/s/ Jonathan

Jonathan B. Spira