Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Letter to Michael Robertson [LINDOWS] from Bruce Perens

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 18:45:31 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jeff <jwh_1997 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Letter to Michael Robertson [LINDOWS] from Bruce Perens

for posting if you see fit:

Saturday April 13, 2002 - [ 02:27 PM GMT ]
"Dear Michael Robertson,
I don't think we've met, but you and I are partners.
I'm one of the authors of the "Lindows" system."

First, I'd like to thank you for what Lindows.com has
done to support Free Software: helping with the Debian
and WINE conferences, contributing to the KDE League,
and code contributions to WINE and through MP3.com.
I'm delighted to see you investing in a Linux-based
desktop, and wish you all possible success in
promoting it. Certainly you are welcome to sell copies
of my software, and you don't have to pay me for the
privilege. Modify it, use it for any purpose, all of
that's fine.

But Michael, please remember that we are partners. For
all that you've done for the Free Software community,
we've done at least as much for you. And our
partnership has rules that we are both honor-bound to
follow. In the case of my work on Lindows, those rules
are the terms of the GPL. You accepted those terms,
and became my partner, when you chose to incorporate
my software into your product and distribute it to
others.

<Full Letter at following link>

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/13/1331214.shtml?tid=19

Bruce Perens  is the founder of the Linux Standard
Base, primary author of the Open Source Definition,
co-founder of the Open Source Initiative and Software
in
the Public Interest, former Debian project leader, and
long-time Linux developer. His full bio is at:

http://perens.com/Bio.html