Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Thoughts on this morning's events -- from someone who passed through the WTC 45 minutes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 16:32:18 -0400

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin, ~1784

From: "Ridgely C. Evers" <revers () evers org>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

From MSNBC - By Howard Fineman

    REMEMBER THIS day, for on this day life in America changed forever, not
for better. We are at war, and the war may never end. The death toll is
unimaginable, the worst (and almost the only) domestic war casualties in our
history. But we've lost more than lives. We've lost what's left of our
innocence. Remember what life was like before today: freedom to travel, the
right to privacy, a sense of ease and security in our homes and in our
cities and towns.

       All these freedoms are diminished now. We can and will get them back.
We will win this war as we have won the others, including World War II. But
victory will not be easy, and we may have to give up some measure of freedom
to preserve what's best of the rest.

<snip>

http://www.msnbc.com/news/627154_asp.htm?0dm=-14QN

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/