Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Rocky Start to Debate Over Public Role in Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:31:46 -0400

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:26:18 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com>
Subject: Re: IP: Rocky Start to Debate Over Public Role in Internet
Cc: "the terminal of Geoff Goodfellow" <geoff () iconia com>

Dave & Geoff,

The question I would put to ICANN is whether or not they view the Internet
as a Public Commons or a private market? My view is that the Internet
should be treated as a public commons  and not as a market.  A commons may
support markets and market activities but that does not make the whole a
market.  I doubt that allowing market forces to act as the "steward" of
the Internet Commons will work for the public good.  It sounds, however,
as if  Carl Bildt would prefer to treat the commons as a corporate entity
to be administered by corporate means to corporate standards for corporate
ends.

Jock

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/