Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DMCA, SSSCA, and the Copy Machine Control Act

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 20:28:33 -0400

Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 15:59:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: DMCA, SSSCA, and the Copy Machine Control Act

Dave,

I'm not being factitious with the Subject line above.  A couple of
years ago in the PRIVACY Forum, in the issue located within the archive at:

   http://www.vortex.com/privacy/priv.08.18

I reported on "invisible" IDs that are imprinted on a wide variety of
xerographic copier output, unknown to most users.  The ID is encoded using
digital watermarking techniques (more broadly an application of
"steganography").  Many modern digital copiers also contain systems to
detect attempts at copying currency and taking appropriate preventative
action.

When I originally reported all of this (even though I had it all straight
from the mouth of a Xerox spokesman) many people simply refused to
believe it -- it seemed so far beyond the pale.

Let's look a few years ahead and extrapolate from the current trend of
criminalizing any activity that attempts to "subvert" any "rights control"
systems, however defined.  If the "copyright lobby" continues to hit home
runs in the political system, there's no good reason why they won't move
onward to copiers and scanners in due course.  The technologies I described
above could easily be used to define a system that would refuse to copy any
document, book page, photo, or whatever that included hidden watermarking
information.  Hell, you could go all the way and even report the attempt to
a central authority in the case of Internet-connected equipment.  About a
thousand dollars for "research" and a few million for lobbying and you're
all set!

Of course, this really is largely our own fault.  We technologists have had a
dandy time building our equipment, software, and systems, then handing them
over to the powers-that-be -- the folks who in the copyright arena are on
their way towards owning everything in the store, the store itself, and the
ground the store is sitting on.  We moan and complain to each other in
mailing lists, while the organized big boys chuckle all the way to the bank.

Unless enough of us change our ways of approaching these issues and come down
from the ivory towers, we'll continue to be squashed like bugs.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/