Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Hague Convention, Intellectual Property Control

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 21:42:28 -0400

Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 21:33:21 -0400
To: dave () farber net
From: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Subject: Hague Convention, Intellectual Property Control

Dave

About to quietly slip through, The Hague Treaty is important because it
will enforce in dozens of countries laws many of us question constantly:
DMCA, arbitrary contracts, extraordinarily strong protections for
corporate rights, foreign jurisdiction even if the laws conflict, the
ability to sue half a world away under different law. Because it's being
done with little publicity, even a few individuals can have a significant
impact. That's why Jamie Love, Richard Stallman, and I are testifying in
DC next Tuesday, alongside the MPAA, AT&T and the usual suspects. (below)

The best discussion of the issues, and what to do, is at

http://www.cptech.org/ecom/jurisdiction/hague.html

The American Library Association urged U.S. negotiators "to remove
intellectual property cases, including copyright cases, from the scope of
the draft."

I wrote this note to the other panelists, after Richard Stallman got the
speaker's program as an attachment, and replied "You sent the attachment
in Microsoft Word format, a secret proprietary format, so I cannot read
it. If you send me the text in ASCII, HTML, or PDF, then I could read it."
My additional thoughts: Just as we should not implicitly force the use of
U.S./Microsoft software, neither should Americans have imposed on them
foreign laws. In particular, I as a writer do not want to fear court
proceedings if my work, not considered libelous under U.S. law, is
unacceptable in Singapore, Croatia, or Spain. They don't have
the  precedents of Times vs. Sullivan, or the rule of "absence of malice",
and the practicalities of defending myself would have a severe chilling
effect.

The corollary is that we should not impose our laws, about which we have
major disagreements, on other nations. I'm an author, and want to collect
royalties. But I don't think protecting my royalties requires imposing on
other nations policies they disagree with. In particular, if Brazil wants
to set the price of textbooks at a figure that allows poor children to go
to school, or Sweden believes in streaming radio without additional
royalties beyond those already paid by the radio station, that should be
their right. In this country, we have strong disagreements about many of
these issues, and in a decade may choose to reverse some of the
legislation. For example, the Chief Technologist of the FCC, Dave Farber,
calls the DMCA "one of the worst laws I have ever seen. It will have a
chilling effect on research around the world."  While many on this panel
disagree with that point of view, the absence of national consensus is
clear. How then America insist it be incorporated into international law?
Similarly, our likely royalty rates on streaming music will make Internet
Radio generally impractical as a mass medium in a country as rich as the
United States. It is clearly not right in many other nations.

    Rights need to be weighed. I believe the lowering the price of
schoolbooks in a poor nation is a noble government effort; my publisher,
Wiley, probably disagrees. I place the efficiency of the public library,
where books - now electronic - are available to all higher than my own
royalties. Honorable people can disagree with my opinions; they should
not be imposed on nations by fiat.

    We do not want to become again "ugly Americans." We will pay a price
for extending our rules around the world that is much greater than the
incremental royalties. We will pay a second price, chilling freedom of
speech in America, as well.

    Dave Burstein
PUBLIC HEARING ON
DRAFT CONVENTION ON JURISDICTION AND FOREIGN JUDGMENTS IN CIVIL AND
COMMERICAL MATTERS

September 11, 2001
9:30 a.m.  5:00 p.m.
Patent Theater, Crystal Park 2
2121 Crystal Drive, 2nd Floor
Arlington, Virginia

SCHEDULE

9:30            Opening Remarks
                Robert L. Stoll, Administrator for External Affairs

                Jennifer Lucas
                Attorney Advisor

10:00           Marc E. Hankin
American Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section Committee On
Draft Hague Convention

10:15           Judith Sapp
                International Trademark Association (INTA)

10:30           James Love
                Consumer Project on Technology

10:45           Michael Sondow
                International Congress of Independent Internet Users
Ltd. (ICIIU)

11:00           Kathryn A. Kleiman
                Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)

11:15           Sarah B. Deutsch
                Verizon Communications

11:30           Ed Black
                Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA)

11:45           Barbara Wellbery
                Yahoo!

12:00  1:00     Lunch Break

1:00            Alan Kasper
                American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
Patent and Trademark Section

1:15            Judith Saffer
                American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
Copyright Section

1:30            Dave Burstein
                DSL Prime

1:45            Mark Bohannon
                Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA)

2:00            Emery Simon
                Business Software Alliance (BSA)

2:15            Richard Stallman
                Free Software Foundation

2:30            Break

2:45            Laura Kaster
                AT&T

3:00            Shira Perlmutter
                AOL Time Warner Inc.

3:15            Troy Dow
                Motion Picture Association of America

3:30            Vergil Bushnell
                Computer Science Student, University of Maryland

Special Correspondent, The Personal Computer Show, WBAI-99.5FM, 8 p.m.
Wednesdays
Three time winner of Best Radio Show from the Computer Press Association;
Editor,DSL Prime; Co-author with Jennie Bourne of "DSL: A Wiley Tech
Brief" forthcoming
"The power of the printing press belongs solely to those who own the
presses" A.J. Leibling -
The Internet is the cheapest printing press ever invented

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/