Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: WORTH THINKING ABOUT: OUR INHERITANCE

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:34:48 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

WORTH THINKING ABOUT: OUR INHERITANCE

      American Revolutionary leader Samuel Adams, organizer of the Boston
Tea Party and signer of the Declaration of Independence, put this value on
freedom in the year 1771:
       "The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil
constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to
defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair
inheritance from our worthy ancestors: they purchased them for us with toil
and danger and expense of treasure and blood, and transmitted them to us
with care and diligence.
       "It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present
generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested
from us by violence without a struggle, or be cheated out of them by the
artifices of false and designing men.
       "Of the latter we are in most danger at present; let us therefore be
aware of it. Let us contemplate our forefathers and posterity; and resolve
to maintain the rights bequeathed to us from the former, for the sake of
the latter.
      "Instead of sitting down satisfied with the efforts we have already
made, which is the wish of our enemies, the necessity of the times, more
than ever, calls for our utmost circumspection, deliberation, fortitude,
and perseverance. Let us remember that 'if we suffer tamely a lawless
attack upon our liberty, we encourage it, and involve others in our doom.'
It is a very serious consideration, which should deeply impress our minds,
that millions yet unborn may be the miserable sharers in the event."

See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395825105/newsscancom/ for the
biography, "Samuel Adams: The Father of American Independence" by Denis
Brindell Fradin -- or look for it in your local library.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/