Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a view on Advise people to stay away if this is the norm

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:21:18 -0400

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:06:30 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: John Noble <jnoble () dgsys com>

>  I want to warn all of the people who are living in USA to ask their
>  loved ones if they are planning to visit USA to delay
>  their plans. What
>  happened to us the last weekend is a pure harassment from INS.

This is what terror looks like, and it would be a mistake to blame it on
the folks who are terrified. The INS agents are as angry as everyone else;
plus they are overwhelmed. Who would like to be the one who stamped Atta's
passport on his last entry? Who would like to be in charge of who gets in
the country right now? What happened to these people is awful, but some
GS-9 out at the airport is not going to let anyone from Libya into the
country without orders from a higher pay-grade.

Those orders aren't coming from a higher pay-grade because the greatest
leverage the U.S. has over the cooperation or acquiescence of Middle-East
nations is commerce between the U.S. and the hopefully influential citizens
of those nations, who largely enjoy important economic or social ties in
the U.S.

John Noble

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/