Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dertouzos

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 20:54:48 -0400

From: "Linda Stone" <lindas () microsoft com>
To: <dave () farber net>

Dave,
This ran today in the Boston Globe.  Thought IP'ers might be interested.
Dertouzos was a remarkable man. [ Indeed he was djf]
Linda

Remembering a computer visionary
By Bill Gates
Boston Globe
9/6/2001
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/249/oped/Remembering_a_computer_vis>
ionary+.shtml>

MICHAEL DERTOUZOS, who died late last month at the early age of 64,
wasn't a well-known name to most people outside the high-technology
business. Yet his work touched anyone with a computer, and his legacy
will be with every one of us for decades to come.

More than anyone else in his field, Michael understood that technology
- particularly computer technology - must serve people's needs, not
the other way round.

He was the first real technology humanist who believed that technology
was largely worthless unless it truly enhanced human life, human
communication, human work and play. He would often talk about his
childhood in Greece, and I remember how passionate he was about what
technology could do for countries such as his own.

To Michael, technology was a means to a very nontechnological end:
enabling everyone on Earth, rich and poor alike, to achieve their
potential.

In our many discussions, he was especially concerned that the
computing and communications revolution was passing by the poor. He
passionately - and rightly - believed that the companies and
governments of the rich industrial world had a responsibility to help
right that wrong.

Michael's work always reflected his view that people should come first
and that technology should be inclusive.

In the early 1990s, he was instrumental in creating the World Wide Web
Consortium, the body that now oversees development of the Web, fired
by his determination that the Web should be accessible to all and that
it should be driven forward by constantly innovating standards.

In recent years, one of his main interests was the $50 million Oxygen
Project, which was focused on making computers as natural a part of
our environment as the air we breathe.

The project was led by the Laboratory for Computer Science at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where Michael had been director
for more than a quarter century.

Despite his concern that computer technologists were still some way
from achieving the high goals he set for all of us, Michael remained
unfailingly optimistic about the future. He was convinced that the
information revolution offered a real chance to heal a split between
technology and humanism that he believed started 300 years ago with
the Enlightenment and continued through the Industrial Revolution.

But he also feared that, unless technology became much more
human-centered, the opportunity would be lost.

Michael was an icon in the technology world, but he was also a close
friend, one of those rare people whose warmth and wisdom always left
me inspired and hopeful for the future.

For one thing, he was a true visionary. Back in the mid '70s, when
Microsoft was still a start-up and the personal computer as we know it
didn't exist, he predicted that within 20 years many homes would have
PCs. And in 1980 he envisioned that a global network of computers
would one day revolutionize the world's economies.

But all his predictions had one thing in common: the need to bring
humanity and technology together.

The last time I saw Michael, we talked about his latest book, ''The
Unfinished Revolution,'' and about the progress we were making toward
his human-centered ideal. As ever, he seemed optimistic, confident
that we were getting closer than ever to achieving harmony with
technology. At the same time, he knew just how much remained for us to
do.

It's hard for me to believe that we'll no longer have his compass to
guide us. Michael's revolution truly was unfinished, and it is up to
all of us to continue his great work.

Bill Gates is chairman and chief software architect of Microsoft Corp.

This story ran on page A15 of the Boston Globe on 9/6/2001.
© Copyright 2001 Globe Newspaper Company.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/