Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Washington Post: Liberty at Risk

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:37:33 -0400

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:47:54 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

http://www.truthout.com/0630.Conyers.ACLU.htm
Liberty at Risk

By John Conyers Jr.
The Washington Post
Wednesday, September 19, 2001; Page A33

Like every U.S. citizen, I was shocked and revolted beyond comprehension by
the attack on our nation last week. We need to do everything within our power to
find the responsible persons and parties, bring them to justice and end the
blight of terrorism.

At the same time, we must all remember that just as this horrendous act can
destroy us from without, it can also destroy us from within. Historically, it has
been at times of inflamed passions and national anger that our civil liberties
proved to be at greatest risk, and the unpopular group of the moment was
subject to prejudice and deprivation of liberty. In 1798, Congress enacted the
notorious Alien and Sedition Acts, making it a federal crime to criticize the
government. In 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War, President Lincoln
suspended habeas corpus, citing the need to repress "an insurrection against
the laws of the United States." Ulysses S. Grant sought to expel Jews from
southern states. World War II brought about the shameful internment of
Japanese Americans, which even the Supreme Court failed to overturn.

Unfortunately, our response in 1996 to the Oklahoma City bombing and to the
first bombing of the World Trade Center does not portend well for today's
discussions. Legislation that began in good faith as an effort to fine-tune our
anti-terrorism laws turned into a legislative race to the bottom. It contained
sweeping new limitations on habeas corpus for death-row and other inmates.
The legislation also severely narrowed the ability of persons fleeing for their lives from dangerous regimes to seek asylum. I sat through the hearings on this legislation and did not hear a single shred of evidence that proved that a single terrorist act could be prevented by limiting the ability of persons convicted in
state court to obtain relief from unconstitutional convictions or by denying
immigrants their due process rights.
<snip>

--
Robert J. Berger