Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Interesting note on the press post twc...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:05:56 -0400

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:27:59 -0700

Letter to MWO

As an Israeli journalist now living and working in the United States, one
post-attacks phenomenon has caught me offguard: The refusal among some (but
by no means all) journalists to countenance hard questioning of the
administration.

This has extended from the dearth of questions following the highly suspect
claim of a "credible threat'' against Air Force One (R.W. Apple and William
Safire in the New York Times are notable exceptions) to The Washington
Post's Gene Weingarten's decision to nix Bush jokes.

Let me explain why the Israeli experience makes this approach
counterintuitive, to say the least.

Israel once had an "editors' committee:'' the editors-in-chief of the major
newspapers would meet once a month with the top bureaucrat in the prime
minister's office for a top-secret debriefing on the issues of the day. The
trade-off for being the best-informed journalists in the country: The
editors would suppress coverage that the government deemed threatening to
national security.

The government needed the committee because of a huge loophole in Israel's
censorship laws: it is virtually impossible to prosecute a publisher for
publishing anything with a foreign dateline. (This led to an elaborate
system where Israeli reporters would alert foreign agencies to sensitive
news, and the material would appear datelined Nicosia, London, wherever.)

The beginning of the end for the system was the 1973 war. Israeli newspapers
had reports - in some cases not even top secret stuff, just conventional
wire-service reports - that Syria and Egypt were increasing their war
footing, moving troops and materiel to the frontlines, etc. The Prime
Minister's office asked the committee to refrain from publishing the
reports, not wanting to create a "panic.'' The committee complied.

Of course, the surprise attacks caught Israelis completely off-guard. The
Israeli toll for the "Yom Kippur'' war numbers about 3,000.  After the war,
in numerous fora, journalists lacerated themselves: Had the reports been
published, they said, public pressure might have resulted, and the
government and army might have been goaded into greater preparedness.

The consensus was that the committee had not been loyal to any patriotic
idea of a "state,'' but rather to the government of the day, with all its
political temporalness.  In fact, many journalists worried that they had
betrayed their countrymen by not publishing the reports.  That started the
committee's a slow death, and it was finally buried - by Benjamin Netanyahu,
I believe - just a few years ago.

The Israeli press has since become one of the most adversarial in the world,
to a fault: just about any critique or theory, however unfounded or
unsourced, seem to make it to print. Whatever its faults, however, Israelis
have never since been caught offguard on the scale of the Yom Kippur war.

It's unsettling now to be here and see the same faulty confusion of loyalty
"government'' and "state'' weave itself into commentary (the Baltimore TV
station is an egregious example).

Again, I'm just a foreigner (though my kids are American), but it would seem
to me that relentless scrutiny and skepticism are the most reliable
hallmarks of a journalist's patriotism.

(Name withheld)