Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Washington's racism and the Islamist trap

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 09:58:52 -0400

From: "Gerry Faulhaber" <gerry-faulhaber () home com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

I don't get this; the tone of the article is the West is racist re: Muslims
when in fact we seem to be bending over backwards to *not* be racist, to
publicly and strongly disapprove of racist acts of our citizens, even in our
most exigent of times.  If racism is hating a group because of what they are
rather than what they've done, then racism (and much else) lies in the
perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks hating Americans, not with the US.  Our
contempt is for the perpetrators (certainly warranted), not Islam.  Our
nation has gone very far to make that clear, and I'm proud that it has.

Most of the article seems to focus on how educated Muslims with an intimate
knowledge of the West still commit fully to terrorism and murder, and that
somehow their education justifies what they are doing.  Do we forget that
Nazi Germany had some of the brightest, most highly educated people in the
world, and yet many participated in the barbaric horror of 1933-45?  The
level of education does not seem to matter; it is the willingness to murder,
even dying while murdering.  The article completely misses the point.

Gerald Faulhaber
Business and Public Policy Department
Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Philadephia, PA 19104

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/