Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Alternate view of Arab anger

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 09:09:05 -0400

I don't find this a rant. I said a long time ago that I want to present a variety of opinions . djf

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 07:56:30 -0500
From: Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 () home com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Alternate view of Arab anger

Dave -

(I don't expect you'll put this on IP. Perhaps you'll dismiss it as some rant. But if you don't want to post it, I do wish you'd find something else to counter Podhoretz' argument with. His position is enormously hateful to me - and what's scarier, this position is apparently being taken seriously at the highest levels).

While I actually agree with Norman Podhoretz that Israel is only a subordinate issue fueling Arab anger against America, I must say that I find the "explanation" he does offer for the phenomenon incredibly hateful and ultimately empty. These are the voices that are apparently urging Bush to take out the whole Arab world now - and not just the people who attacked us.

But notice that Podhoretz never, in his whole venom-soaked piece, attempts to locate the source of this supposed pan-Arab hatred for all things Western except in some obviously incomprehensible psychosis of the Moslem mindset. He scoffs at Arabic textbooks which claim that imperialism has been inflicted on the Arab nations.

And yet: why does the United States even care about the Middle East? After all, there is no such interest in Africa or the South Pacific or other poor regions far from our shores. Why has the Republican party repeatedly said that the Middle East was a strategic area and all these stupid little wars Clinton got involved in weren't? Everyone knows the answer. Why has there been so little mention of it? THE MIDDLE EAST HAS OIL. The West acts toward the Middle East as if it regards this fact as an unfortunate mistake of nature to be rectified by any means necessary. This causes us to view these Arab states and their people as means to the end of oil extraction. And it's been going on for years. While rhetoric about "imperialism" is often overblown, in this particular case, it's almost classically true. We need their oil and will stop at practically nothing to get it.

Without confronting THIS issue, I maintain that no discussion of Middle Eastern politics can be fully honest. And no one, on either side, is discussing it. The bin Ladenists don't discuss it. Evidently, they see no political gain in talking about oil. The issue doesn't resonate with the Arabic masses, perhaps because they can see no benefit. What difference to them if the wealth further enriches the various sultans who have taken control of it, as opposed to the Americans? The religious issue, though, is more potent politically.

The conservative Arab rulers don't discuss it. They're scared to death of it. Their wealth and position are entirely dependent on the oil. And so they maintain an uneasy codependency with the bin Ladenists, covertly financing them, yet fearing them, to deflect mass anger from themselves.

And certainly we're not discussing it. It doesn't fit with our self-image of doing good everywhere we go. Much better to numb ourselves with "They hate us for what we are, for our modernity, our democratic values." And blah blah blah. Think about it. Can you imagine, for even one second, anyone saying, "I hate them for their democratic values"? I can't. OK, now how about this one: "I hate them because they always lecture us about democratic values, meanwhile, look what they're doing to us." That one has a little bit more of a ring to it, doesn't it?

How can we say "they hate us for what we are, not for what we do", when we are unwilling to see, let alone mention, the things we do? News reports indicate that the Bush administration is torn between the Colin Powells and voices like this one. We need intelligence and understanding, and instead we close our minds. God help us all.

Steven M. Cohen

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/