Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: another aspect of the Palestinian response

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:57:42 -0400

From: JNOppenheimer () cs com
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:51:43 EDT
Subject: Re: IP: another aspect of the Palestinian response
To: farber () cis upenn edu

I did see the candlelight vigil footage of Palestinian children.  Having
relatives living in Israel predating WWII, I may be biased, but I don't think
I'm paranoid in my observations.

My impression was that the vigil was staged.  It was the look in some of the
childrens' eyes, like they were angry that someone made them be there.

(I have a very expressive 16 year old.  You get pretty good at reading kids'
faces.)

I saw anger, and sarcasm.  Not sorrow.

FYI, years ago I was sales director for an advertising program in New York
City.  I had lunch one day with a customer, two 30ish Palestinian brothers
who own a car service.

They showed me pictures of their very nice home back home, and a well dressed
family.  They traveled back and forth regularly.

And they told me that no matter the promises made in the peace process and
the concessions announced for political purposes, the Palestinian mission is
the eradication of Israel.  This is what they were taught as children, and
what their children were being taught.

They would demand more and more land until Israel was forced into the sea,
they told me with neither passion nor apology, as they paid the lunch bill.

They could have been discussing the weather.  It was quite chilling.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/