Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: What you see on CNN is not what you thought -- BBC on CNN

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:26:13 -0400

Sender: rberger@localhost.localdomain
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:17:12 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

I suspect that this meme which has been circulating around the Internet is false.

I could not find anything on the BBC site that would confirm the assertion that the video of Palestinians celebrating the attack was fake. I did find a Russel Grossman Head of Internal Communication of the BBC listed as a speaker at some conference, but not on the BBC website.

There were some news articles on BBC that did show Palestinians celebrating such as:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1540000/1540102.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1540000/1540029.stm
and there was no comments on  faked or old footage.

BBC articles did say that it was not all Palestinians and definately very few Arab officials condoning the event (basically Iraq).

I had also heard a report on NPR a nite or so ago where it was reported that cameramen were detained and harrased by Arafat's people when they were filming Palestinians that were celebrating....

I'm not pointing all this out because of any political point of view, just to show how tenuous media literacy, differeing views of reality and general media accountability is..

--
Robert J. Berger - UltraDevices, Inc.
257 Castro Street, Suite 223 Mt. View CA. 94041

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/