Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: wrestle the stegnography boogeyman to the ground

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:20:14 -0400

From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeks () MSNBC COM>
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: FW: [vor] wrestle the stegnography boogeyman to the ground
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:18:00 -0700

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Rieger [mailto:frank () ccc de]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 12:36 PM
To: Weld Pond
Cc: vor () attrition org

I talked with Peter Honeyman about the project about a month ago. He
said that he was really amused that they found not a single image.
Interesting side-note is that they choosed ebay out of two
considerations. First it is one of the few place where you can upload
images anonymous (usefull for communication schemes) and Second they did
not want to submit their university to the stress that would have
happened when they would have checked 2 mil porn images ;-)

Unfortunately the porn theory was the one spread by the newspapers and
is difficult to check out on government money. Btw: if I would need to
setup a internet based communication system I would do it on
warez-trading newsgroups and use one-time offset schemes into the
binaries that are not different in entropy from normal binaries. In the
end there is no way to detect a sufficiently complicated security by
obscurity communication hiding scheme that is hardened by one-time-pads.
There are so many possibilites for that, that you can think of 200 and
change them in infrequent intervals in order to avoid compromise by one
cell beeing discovered.

So all this "regulate encryption to stop terrorists"-bable is extreme
nonsense that completely misses the point. No self-respecting islam
terrorist would use western  encryption products anyway.

Btw: I seriously doubt the claims that Laden used telephone encryption
the NSA could not brake on his Inmarsat. As far as I know the market
today, there is not a single product avialable for Inmarsat voice
encryption that is not produced by a company that has known ties to
their respective home country intelligence agencies, which happen to be
either western world or russian or israeli. (James, correct me if I am
wrong, please). Theoreticaly he could have hooked up a PC and used
something like speakfreely or PGPphone, but we do not need to discuss
the resitance of general purpose operating systems when it comes to a
determined NSA attack to compromise the cipher.

Greetings

Frank

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/