Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: one more RE: interesting point on the DMCA also

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:51:02 -0400

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:34:47 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
Subject: Re: IP: RE: interesting point on the DMCA also

At 08:49 PM 9/14/2001 -0400, you wrote:
From: "Sackler, Dr Richard" <333 () pharma com>

3. Limit contingent fees to lawyers to limit to reasonable costs and payment
for time

Speaking as someone who sells his professional services, I strongly oppose this idea. When a lawyer takes on a contingent case, he's gambling. If he wins one case, and gets a million or even ten million dollars in fees, but loses the other five cases he took on that year, is this wrong? I think we should look at it that he's performing a needed public service by taking those other five cases to trial for people who otherwise might lack access to the legal system.

When I'm dealing with many of the start-up companies that have been my clients, I quote them an hourly rate for my services. If they want me to accept stock or other forms of future compensation in lieu of cash, the rate goes up by a factor of around ten, in order to try to cover the risk I'm taking. The day that a law passes saying I can't do this, it will be cash on the barrelhead, period.

4. Immunize all those whose facilities (airports) and planes were used to
carry out this outrage.

No way! It was their decision to hire security people, pay them minimum wage, and ignore the fact that they were not doing an effective job. The reasons behind this were entirely financial, and I see no good reason why they should be shielded from the liability and the costs resulting from that decision. It may put a couple of airlines and airports into bankruptcy, but I can promise you that their successors will be a LOT more careful than if we pat them on the shoulder and say "Just try harder next time, please."

Have any doubts about airport security? As you sample the following links, ask yourself if this is the behavior that you want to indemnify:

Airline security flunks FAA test at Hailey
http://www.mtexpress.com/2001/01-07-11/01-07-11faa.htm

FAA Proposes Fine Against American for Security Violations
http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/safety/pr.cfm?id=1380

Security Experts Knew a Major Attack Was Possible
Lax Measures at Airports Cited Often Over Years
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/metro/crime/A14031-2001Sep11.html

Airlines Rack Up Huge Fines for FAA Security Violations
http://www.charlotte.com/observer/business/pub/security0915.htm

AFTER THE ATTACK:
Guns got through Metro in '90s
Airline security failed FAA's tests over and over
http://www.freep.com/money/business/fail14_20010914.htm

Aviation consultants criticize security
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/news/national/digdocs/018306.htm

Airlines spurn bomb-proof baggage boxes
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,3-64244,00.html

Airlines rejected higher security in US
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,3-2001314737,00.html

Airport security company agrees to pay $1.2M to settle charges
http://www.airdisaster.com/news/0400/18/news.shtml

Airport security found lacking.
http://www.airdisaster.com/news/1299/03/news.shtml

Airline safety penalties rise 80% between 1998 and 1999.
http://www.airdisaster.com/news/0300/14/news.shtml

FAA finds holes in security at TIA
http://www.sptimes.com/News/031500/TampaBay/FAA_finds_holes_in_se.shtml

This one is a little harder to follow: It's a link to the FAA's Quarterly Enforcement Reports, but as you browse through the minimal information, note how many of these fines are listed as "Security."
http://www.faa.gov/agc/enforcement/index.htm

In addition, although I don't have freely available links, I suggest searching through USA Today's (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/USAToday/main/advancedsearch.html) paid archives for "Airport security" If you don't want to be buried with current information, I suggest stopping the search at around Sept 1.

It's a paid service, but you can turn up many, many more articles for doing searches on http://interactive.wsj.com/Publib/ on things like "FAA security" "Airport security".

Tom Goltz
Software Engineering Services
(603) 594-9922