Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Two comments , one from the UK and one from a friend you all should know

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:51:00 -0400

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:33:29 +0100
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Denis Russell <Denis.Russell () ncl ac uk>

At 5:53 AM -0400 9/14/01, David Farber wrote:
...I strongly suggest you pick your favorite foreign news source and
monitor it for a view on the way the rest of the world sees our struggle.

Dave,
        I can't pretend to give a balanced summary of the view from the
rest of the world, nor even from the UK, merely a few personal impressions.

On Tuesday many of us were glued in disbelief to the net watching BBC
News24 on streaming Quicktime live as it happened. TV schedules have been
almost completely disrupted with live cover ever since.

It's not just "your" (US) struggle, many of us believe it is our struggle,
not just in principle, but up close and personal too. e.g. the brother of
a colleague was in transit to LA. Was she relieved when he reported in OK?
Two ex-colleagues work in Wall Street and live within a few blocks. Both
are safe!!! It is estimated that maybe 200 Brits died in the attack. That
makes it the biggest UK terrorist hit by numbers (including the IRA bomb
in the London financial district a few years ago - I saw that devastation
myself). Yesterday, at Buckingham Palace the changing guard played the US
National Anthem. Today lots of us observed a three-minute silence.
Tomorrow, the last night of the Proms (a very big annual televised music
event) is changing its program of music. etc, etc, etc.

The US has a huge amount of committed support here. Including me. I hope
that we will all use this huge positive swell in constructive ways.
History indicates that a military response to terrorism doesn't work -
quite the contrary. Terrorists often deliberately provoke a frustrated,
intemperate military or repressive response exactly to further their own
aims. I believe we have an unprecedented opportunity to respond positively
and collectively to this threat. Lets not squander it in a knee-jirk
response that plays into the terrorist's hands. We don't need to descend
to their level.

        Denis.