Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A query for IP readers on resistance, and a possibly novel observation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:09:55 -0400

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:02:36 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

For IP...

In engaging in the debate over the coming war on privacy and freedom to
travel, it occurs to me that there are good examples of how effective
such techniques are in the oppressive regimes of the present and past.

In the overused example, the Nazis had a tight (though computerless)
regime which required everybody to carry documentation papers and
present them as they traveled, and a terrifying and regimenting secret
service performing surveillance on the German people.   None of the
advocates of reduced privacy would say we should go nearly as far as
the Nazis did.   Yet there was an active resistance, both with dissidents
and foreign agents, which regularly engaged in major acts of sabotoge
and attack against the German infrastructure, usually against protected
non-civilian targets.

Recent history is also full of repressive, low-privacy regimes where
nonetheless the opposition blows things up, kills members of goverment
etc.   Those missiles we saw fired in Kabul tuesday night provide a
perfect example of that.

So I would be interested in gathering from readers (mail to me, I'll
summarize) some examples of such activities in highly controlled and
repressive societies.  The activities were often not called terrorism,
but the logistic difficulties of them are the same, if not harder.  If
I can say, "Even if you lock down society and travel as much as Nazi
Germany, you won't stop them" it may be a convincing argument.

Mail me at brad () templetons com

------------

Now a 2nd observation that has come to me which I have not seen talk of.
The media refer to the 18 hijackers (allegedly distributed 5-5-4-4) as
suicide terrorists.   This assumes that they all knew of the plan.  In
theory, only the pilots needed to know of the actual plan.  The pilots might
well have locked themselves in the cockpits and done all the dirty work.
The accomplices on the ground, and even most of the helpers overseas, need
not have known.  They might simply have thought they were in an ordinary
hijacking, or an attempt to steal half a billion dollars worth of
airplanes!

While clearly this is not certain, it makes some sense.  With a plot this
big, this horrendous, you want to inform as few people as possible, since
everybody who knows is a risk that the secret gets out.  And everybody who
knows it's suicide has a distinct probability of chickening out.  We may
never know what percentage of suicide bombers sent on their missions fail
to carry them out.  I doubt the success rate is 100%.  In fact, I would
speculate that the odds that one or more of a group of 18 would chicken out
is more than the leaders might want to risk.   It's even slightly possible
that this played some role in the downing of flight 93, though this in no
way diminishes the heroism of the passengers.

I speculate on this not to reduce the guilt of the non-pilots who were
invovled, but as a possible explanation of how you might get so many
skilled terrorists willing to suicide.   In theory, this could have been
done with just 4 dedicated suicide terrorists, and 50 support crew convinced
they were involved in a theft or hostage based hijacking.

Perhaps the FBI even knew something of the plot, but because only a very
few knew the dark internal secret, they didn't take it as seriously as they
should have.  Do you all recall how the FBI and SS took down an ISP in Texas
last week alleging it was being used by arab terrorist groups?  Is there
a connection?

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010906/wr/mideast_usa_internet_dc_3.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/