Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: ways to prevent an airliner from being used a weapon

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:58:46 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:32:06 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Wulf Losee <wulf () cisco com>
Subject: ways to prevent an airliner from being used a weapon

Dave:
I haven't heard any public discussion yet of how to prevent an airliner
from being used as a weapon. Given that any security perimeter in a
transportation hub will inevitably be porous, even under the most
stringent security protocols, it seems to me that we should consider ways
we could make our airliners more secure. In other words, how do we prevent
a airborne structure weighing thousands of kilos and carrying tens of
thousands of liters of flammable material (jet fuel) from being aimed at
highly visible civilian and military targets?

I have a few initial suggestions, which I hope will spark more discussion
of this issue in the coming weeks.

First: Place transponders in part of the plane which is inaccessible to
anyone during flight time. Give them an isolated power supply. I was
shocked that it was so easy for the hijackers to turn off the transponders
making it difficult for the air traffic controllers to identify and track
the hijacked aircraft.

Second: Make it more difficult to access the cockpit. I understand that
the airlines have been reluctant to implement a double-doored entries into
cockpits. And I also understand their reluctance is due to the high cost
of retrofitting (please correct me if I'm wrong on these points). If this
is the case, then the Federal government should subsidize this change. The
double doors should be strong enough to withstand fire from small-calibre
weapons, and the force of heavy physical impact (i.e. the force created by
a person trying to kick the door in). The space between the double doors
should be adequate for a single person to stand. Either door should not be
able to be opened unless the other door is secured. Moreover there should
be video cameras (for the pilots benefit) on the door entry from the cabin
and on the space between the doors.

Third: Why not have security cameras at either end of each of the cabins?
It would give pilots a better idea of what's happening in cabin compartments.

Fourth: A co-worker of mine suggested that there be a way to flood the
cabin with some sort of knock-out gas. At first I laughed at the idea.
But, if the pilots have their own source of oxygen, why not? I'm not sure
of the practicality of such a scheme. Naturally there would need to be
safeguards in place to make sure it could only be discharged via a
manually-operated system with built-in fail-safes.

Also, what about re-instituting the air marshals that we had in the 70s?

Finally: I was singularly unimpressed by the statements I've heard from
the FAA and the Secretary of Transportation in the past 24 hours.
Naturally they all must be stunned -- so perhaps I'm being overly
critical. But one remark -- "We're going to discontinue curbside checkin
of luggage" -- seemed singularly unimaginative. Indeed, how would that
have prevented yesterday's disaster?

best regards,
--Wulf

Wulf Losee
Product Manager
Cisco Systems, INSMBU
email: wulf () cisco com
vox: 408.525.1493     cell: 408.406.4914
fax: 408.525.4251     page: 800.365.4578

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/