Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: American Freedom

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:50:14 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:46:06 -0400
From: Brent Hunsaker <brent.hunsaker () alcatel com>

Dave,

I have read through the various e-mail sent to you regarding the vigil
needed to maintain our current level of freedom. My comment is this -
that no new laws are needed to severely reduce our freedom. Yes, we
depend on the rule of law. But that law can be suspended without any
legislative action. During the Civil War, Lincoln suspended habius
corpus, keeping many who disagreed with him behind bars. During W.W.II
asians were forcefully removed from the coastal areas. In the south many
blacks were routinely hung or killed with no laws invoked, protecting
the killers.

All we need is fear! That we now have.

It will take a Herculean effort to maintain freedom for those who are
not involved in this act, even though they may be of the nationality or
religious belief of these criminals. When I awoke this morning, I
listened to a woman who has interviewed many who have been involved with
past terrorist acts. Her comment stuck in my mind, that these terrorist
groups are hired guns, mercenaries, willing to use anyone, anywhere,
anyhow to spread their terror. This is no holy war, it is just war.

I wrote e-mails to my legislative representatives and the president
awhile back regarding the ABM system being supported by the military.
One of the many points I made against this system is that a rogue
country was not likely to launch an BM against the USA because they love
their home too much to have it destroyed by US retaliation. They will
use terrorist groups (such as these yesterday) to do their deeds. It
gives them deniability.  I did not know I would be so correct.

Here is my text I send on this point.
"...
It defends against an unlikely attack."

"No country will want to be faced with an all out war with
the USA.  The rouge nations included.  They would face total
obliteration at the hands of a nation that could turn their
homeland into a barren waste land if they attacked using
ballistic missiles.  The rogue nations do love their way of
life and would prefer to attack the USA by stealth.  Or by
small cells intent on local attacks, such as the bombing of
the World Trade Towers in NY city."

"Other Forms of Attack"

"It would be far safer to import a nuclear bomb aboard a
cargo ship.  Shipped in pieces through our boarders and
assembled here.  Flown by a plane thought to be a stray.
These are more easily deniable, blamed on extremist
factions.  It is by these or other forms that I think the
attack will come.  We must learn to defend against these
more plausible and more difficult forms to protect against."

We now face a future of war.
Brent Hunsaker

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/