Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: end of thread -- comment from an old right wing friend

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 17:21:46 -0400

Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 14:19:00 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Subject: Re: IP: Re: CUNY condemns professors

I would like to endorse what Dave says. I was at the University of Texas during the dark days of McCarthyism and the real pressure came from those who knuckled under to TailGunner Joe. He was invited to speak at the University of Texas and this raised a storm of student protest. Approximately 60% of the entire student body signed a petition demanding that the administration rescind the invitation, to no avail. In the event though, the talk was cancelled through no positive action of the University. I, a right-winger even then, signed the petition because I thought what the Senator was doing was downright evil and definitely no in keeping with conservative
principals -- he was simply a demagogue.

Bob McClure