Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more from the Bechtel crew at the WTC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:54:02 -0400

Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:47:11 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: Richard Jay Solomon <rsolomon () dsl cis upenn edu>

 WTC Chronicles
 2001-09-26
 Our Bechtel team is now pretty well assembled. Our first people on the
 scene, on that very fateful first day, were working here in NY, on the
 East Access project. Chris Dixon, Dan Louis and Alan Paskoff have been
 here from the beginning. They were quickly joined by others that were
 immediately available from assignments within driving distance from NY.
 Don Carpenter and Alan Todd came from NJ. Terry Copeland came from
 Frederick joined by David Whyte. Then there are the three Johnny come
 latelies, Terry Crabtree and Jack Riggen from Seattle and me - the lone
> Texan - once New Yorker. We split into three teams, covering three shifts.
 > I worked last night, all night. The immense devastation, smoking and
 > steaming in the cool air, illuminated by artificial light against the
 black sky appeared more eerie than it had been the in the light of day.
 From most vantage points, beams of light shining up into the sky, from
 huge self contained light plants, illuminated the rubble piles from behind
 making the already surreal mountains of destruction appear more imposing
 while at the same time strangely beautiful. The beauty that quickly
 vanishes as you get closer and watch the awesome and dangerous work going
 on.
 During they day, S&R had continued in front of the plaza between WTC 4 &
 5. Similarly, the search continued through the rubble of WTC 1. A somewhat
 unsuccessful attempt to topple the façade of WTC 2 had been made, with
 only the tallest portion falling leaving the remaining massive section in
 an even more precarious position made more hazardous by falling glass that
 would sporadically pop out of the twisted structure and either fall, or
 worse, float to the ground causing the closure of that quarter of the
 site. New plans to complete demolition of the wall are being developed,
 and what is left will hopefully be removed tomorrow. The city is
 persistent in its desire to keep the façade as intact as possible, in
 order to use it in a monument. While this adds complexity to the already
 difficult scenario, the desire is understood and respected by those
 chartered with its removal. Fire fighters remain very anxious to search
 this area and everyone is working hard to get them in.
 South of the WTC 2 is an expansive pit. At its southern most and deepest
 point (easily 60 feet deep), it exposes the critical slurry wall. This
 wall was built to allow the original construction of the tower foundations
 and basements. It holds back not just soil, but also water - the Hudson
 River - and its structural integrity is of the very highest concern. While
 it was once tied back with rock anchors, those anchors are gone now. The
 construction of the tower foundations have shored that wall all the years
 since their construction. Well now the foundations are gone, or
 irreparably damaged, and the wall needs support, lest a disastrous
 structural failure flood the area. Currently rock and soil fill is being
 placed inside the wall. However, because we are using such delicate
 placing procedures to prevent damage to the wall, the work is
 excruciatingly slow. Fill is placed with a crane, one small clam bucket
 full at a time, and from a long distance, this to make sure that no
 unacceptable pressures are placed on this fragile structure. Everyone
 brainstorms constantly, trying to come up with a quicker and safer way to
 approach this critical work. Nevertheless, until then, the work plods
 along.
 That "plodding" that plagues much of the work on the site has an insidious
 effect on everyone. Everyone believes he or she can do more, yet the
 necessary and understandable restraints to a full-fledged attack of the
 work frustrate everyone. It frustrates the recovery teams that have such
 an important, emotional, and spiritual mission to complete. It frustrates
 > the construction workers, who want help rescue while accomplishing their
 own mission. That is the job of clearing the site, making it safe, and
 eventually letting new construction begin. And it frustrates our team,
 because our job is to provide the management that removes all the
 obstacles to the work. Everyone understands what is going on though, and
 everyone constantly talks, schemes, and dreams of new ways to make things
 go better.
 Work in two areas is flying along though. The area south of the partially
 collapsed WTC 4 and the completely collapsed WTC 7 goes on 24 hours a day.
 Grappling trackhoes pull and sort the steel continuously. At WTC 4, 9 huge
 machine are making quick work of the awesome piles, pulling out the
 debris, and sorting the big steel from the rubble. The big steel is loaded
 on flatbed trucks, one or two pieces per truck, for inspection by the FBI
 and eventual sale to a recycling concern contracting with the federal
 government. The small material goes in 30-yard dump trucks that go to the
 Fishkill landfill, where it is also inspected by the FBI before being
 buried. A rumor started yesterday that one of the hauling contractors has
 tried to sell the steel for themselves. The sense of outrage by everyone
 onsite was almost amusing, so strong is the patriotism. What might
 normally be acceptable and almost expected skimming, is now just plain
 un-American. I can only hope it is a false rumor. Either way, I am
 reasonably sure it will not happen again.
 New hazards continue to make themselves known. An electric cable arced
 through the bottom of Liberty Street sending electricity and flames
 through the roadbed several feet into the air. We called Con Ed and
 together we discovered a destroyed light pole foundation that mysteriously
 has power going to it. No one could understand how or why it is energized.
 But the work most go on. So we followed the conduit to a deep point where
 it entered a concrete foundation and reburied it. Still live, it is
 something that would never be done in normal circumstances, but a
 calculated risk to keep things moving. A tough decision to make, but the
 right one...I think. I expect this type of surprise will continue to be a
 daily occurrence. We all remain vigilant trying to anticipate and prepare
 for the unexpected hazards.
 It is surprising how quickly everyone becomes friends. Tully's night shift
 superintendent is Bobby Smith. I met him for the first time last night. By
 the middle of the shift we working as if we had known each other for
 years. Neither questioning each other's instructions, just working
 together. In the middle of the night, I lost my security ID. A huge deal.
 Bobby told everyone working for him, easily a hundred people, to keep
 their eyes open because he didn't want me to get in trouble with the
 police, FBI, etc.. And they found it for me. In all that junk, they found
 it. They looked out for me, for such a small insignificant thing, in the
 middle of this monumental ordeal. For me a total stranger just four hours
 before.
 I spoke with firefighters last night. The guys that had responded to the
 attack. The guys that lost comrades in arms, guys that have pulled them
 out the rubble. We have all heard and read the stories. I can tell you it
 is very different when you are told in person. You can feel the pain of
 their loss. The damp look in their eye. The trembling lip, the change of
 pitch in their tone. In all of the talk, one thing is entirely missing.
 That is talk of revenge. I expected it. It is not there. I do not know
 why, but it is not discussed. But everything else is. Obviously, these
 guys need to talk. It is wonderful that they can. I hope it is healing. I
 > worry for those that don't. For those that can't. I see it all around me.
 > Guys trying to keep up a solid front, but I know they are feeling
 everything I am. Many of them are feeling much more, having been through
 much more, because in reality I have been through nothing. A Johnny come
 lately, but one very glad to be here.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/