Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Outlook 2000 -- we aren't told and cannot peek

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:18:41 -0500

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:45:48 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Subject: Re: IP: Outlook 2000 -- we aren't told and cannot peek

Simple answer -- don't use Outlook.

<Step up on soapbox>

We all have choices. Some involve paying a little more money, and others involve investing time in learning something new to take the place of what we were using.

If security is a concern, or quality is an issue, then try using something else. Use market forces to effect a change -- reward those vendors who do things you want, and penalize those vendors who don't seem to "get it."

Let me give you an example.
I run Eudora on an Apple Macintosh under MacOS 9.2. I've used Macs for 15 years, and I have NEVER had a computer virus on my machines (that I didn't download for study knowing what it was). Not one of the approximately 50,000 viruses that have been reported for DOS/Windows in the last decade spreads on a Mac (for comparison, there are only about 50 native for the Mac in the same time period, and they are almost all extinct). By not using Word, I also don't get bothered by any of the macro viruses there. Eudora on the Mac (at least; on the Windows version, too, I think) has settings to allow me to decide whether to run attachments, and to see plain MIME code as characters, so I can see the cruft stuffed into infected spam email for unsuspecting Outlook users. I don't have to devote 40% of my machine's CPU time to running anti-virus software, either.

I have also never had a break-in to any of my Macs. Under MacOS 9x, it doesn't run any services that would enable a break-in. Simple.

As to people who complain about software not being available, a lot of software that is on Windows but isn't available on the Mac is either games or garbage. In all my time using the Mac, I've written 3 books, nearly 50 research papers, and handle daily email correspondence loads of over 250 messages. I program in Perl, I write and maintain WWW pages, and I am able to open X windows to my Unix machines. My assistant and I share a calendar and address book with no problems. All the software I need is available. That there are 10,000 other things I can't run doesn't matter -- there are 10,000 books in other languages I can't read either, but I'm doing just fine as is, thank you.

I am not anti-Microsoft. As Mike O'Dell indicated, they have done some important things in computing and in bringing computing to the masses. Microsoft has done a lot of good work, and has helped shape the industry. (As an academic, I'd be lost without Powerpoint, and I definitely use Excel on occasion. Both run on the Mac, btw.) However, I am very much troubled by Microsoft's long history of poor code quality and security. There are places where a Windows environment is appropriate. But I wouldn't have it my first choice for any safety or security critical application. So, I make a conscious decision to use something else in those situations where security is important to me -- such as my personal desktop.

There are other decisions you can make, if you are interested in issues of security and quality. For instance, it was noted here that Gartner has said people ought to stop using IIS. One of my staff went through the ICAT database maintained by NIST and found over 80 security patches released for IIS in the last 3 years. He found only 1 for Apache. Which one are you using and why?

And there are yet more alternatives for systems and software for general use, and reasons they should be considered. This includes various versions of free software (note that Linux is not necessarily more secure than Windows -- I think the *BSD systems are much better quality and more stable, OpenBSD in particular) and commercial systems such as Solaris and HP/UX (which have a much better recent history of security and stability IF you have an administrator who knows what he/she is doing).

The best solution is not always to buy the cheapest piece of commodity hardware and install the same old software everyone else is using. If security is important, one shouldn't base decisions solely on the up-front acquisition and training costs. Applying patches every few days, using up a large fraction of your CPU running anti-virus software, and cleaning up after malware and break-ins has cost too. I'm also told that help desk costs are lower for Mac shops than Windows, and over time that more than makes up the initial purchase difference.

Recent events have shown us that we shouldn't take security for granted. Being informed, wise consumers willing to spend a little bit more for quality is an important part of the process.

</Step down from soapbox>

The security curmudgeon,
--spaf

For archives see: