Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Satellite TV deal would be sad sign for telecom industry

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 06:53:01 -0500

BY DAN GILLMOR

Mercury News Technology Columnist

Several years ago, when the local cable-television company had refused to stop treating me like, well, a cable-TV customer, I knew I had other choices. Two direct-broadcast satellite companies, Dish Network and DirecTV, vied for my business.

I chose Dish, the service offered by EchoStar Communications, for a variety of reasons. Not least was the company's scrappy style, and its apparent grasp of ``customer service'' as more than just words in a slogan.

Now Dish wants to buy out DirecTV, which is owned by General Motors' Hughes Electronics unit. This deal would be wonderful for Dish and its shareholders, but not so great for customers.

This proposed deal is about more than just couch potatoes. Its outcome will tell us whether the people charged with promoting competition in Washington mean to do their jobs, or whether the oligopolists and monopolists will enjoy unfettered control over the chokepoints of tomorrow's communications.

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/