Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: READ -- Nimda E Windows Virus -- a different problem entirely

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:52:03 -0500

From: "Rob Raisch" <info () raisch com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

Today, a number of machines over which I have responsibility were hit by a
new Windows Virus that has been dubbed "Nimda E"

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.e () mm html

There are a number of subtle yet important differences that make this attack
a whole new kettle of fish entirely.

In short, the NIMDA E Windows Virus can infect your machine through the
expected channels of Microsoft Windows Internet Information Server (IIS),
over a shared disk drive, and in an email message opened with Microsoft
Outlook.

But most importantly, when it arrives on your machine through Outlook 2000
(and I believe Outlook Express, though I have yet to verify this), the
infected email message is shown as having __NO__ file attachments, even
though it clearly does when opened or examined with another email client.

This implies that user education will not be sufficient to stem this
infection as any email message can now be a new vector of infection.

The NIMDA E Windows Virus also appears to modify important Windows systems
files so its chief method of attack is reinvoked when each new program is
run under Windows.  Run any program whatsoever, and you are reinfected.  I
ran my SSH client to connect to a remote Linux host, and was amazed to see
the infected operating system modify the SSH program file to become a new
infection vector.

Finally, and this has yet to be verified, it appears the NIMDA E Windows
Virus can infect your machine over a network share, violating Windows Share
Permissions, to modify systems files as described above.

The only solution I can imagine for this virus is not to run Microsoft
Windows IIS, File Service, or Outlook.

/rr

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/