Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: previous screed....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:11:04 -0500

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:03:05 -0500 (EST)
From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: previous screed....

lest people accuse me of Intel/Microsoft bashing,
let me say that both companies produce quite useful
and valuable products, regardless of the corner they
find themselves in at this point.

Intel has made more cpu cycles available to more people
for more purposes than was ever imaginable before,
and people *are* finding interesting uses for them.

Likewise, Microsoft makes some tools which are quite
useful to many people in spite of what i consider to
be the rampant over-featurizing of many of them
and the concomitant impact on product quality.

the biggest credit one must give Microsoft is relentless
determination.  Their most successful products today were
absolute dogs when first announced - products that most other
companies would have given a decent burial and moved on.  But
Microsoft just kept on trying, pouring programmers and effort
into release after release, until the product finally matured
to the point of viability (and beyond).

love 'em or hate 'em, one must acknowledge this characteristic
of the organization and reckon with its considerable implications.

        cheers,
        -mo

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/