Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Free software to get a voice in patent issue:it.mycareer.com.au, Software

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 04:44:02 -0400

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 09:22:04 +0100
From: Ben Laurie <ben () algroup co uk>

David Farber wrote:
> >World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) spokeswoman Janet Daly said the volume and
> >quality of the responses to the Patent Policy Framework draft, the
> >Reasonable and NonDiscrimantory (RAND) licensing system, over the last two
> >days had been "significant". She said although many highprofile members of
> >the Free Software community are not members of the W3C, there was scope
> >for them to be added to the group.

It is interesting that W3C should be saying this now, since they have
consistently refused over the years to contemplate adding any free
software groups to their membership unless they pay the fees. This is a
concept that I find completely unacceptable. I hope W3C will finally see
sense and extend gratis membership to appropriate free software groups.

Cheers,

Ben (Director, The Apache Software Foundation).

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/