Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Time to Look at Stock Options' Real Cost

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:50:07 -0400

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:32:28 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Joseph C. Pistritto" <jcp () jcphome com>
Subject: Re: IP: Re: Time to Look at Stock Options' Real Cost
Cc: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap () eros-os org>

I though the numbers here were high.  As you can see by this article:

http://www.fool.com/portfolios/rulemaker/2000/rulemaker000218.htm

Microsoft's option plan last year amounted to 8% of capitalization over the previous *three* years. or less than 3% per year. What's more, its common for companies to "fund" stock plans through repurchases of stock when it's low (I know Oracle and Cisco are doing that now for instance).

It can be argued that helps shareholders when it happens. When i was at Oracle, The "stock plan" in current use for employees usually had 1-2% of total capitalization in stock to be issued. (there was another plan with a similar amount that was used for higher level executives). Usually a "plan" would last 1-2 years then a new one would be approved by shareholders.

One thing the argument here doesnt address is the differences between Incentive Stock Options (which most startups issue to employees) and Non-Qualified Stock Options, which most larger companies issue to employees. (I dont know which kind MIcrosoft issues, i've never participated in the Microsoft plan). When I was at Oracle, I got both kinds of options, but ISOs were what i got early in my career there. To the employee, Non-Quals are much less attractive (because they're ordinary income when you exercise them, not long term capital gains).

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/