Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Reduce the danger

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 03:45:19 -0400

From: "Jack Rieley" <jrieley () boardrush com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Reduce the danger
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:02:10 -0400

Prof. Farber,

It was about five years ago that Jaye Muller and I first invited you to
begin sending and receiving paperless faxes.  We provided you with a
personal phone number in the city of your choice and you began using the
service that is today called J2 Global Communications.  No stamps, no
envelopes, no worry.

Today the unified messaging industry is well situated to serve
individuals, business and government with paperless faxes.  One example:
J2 has more than 4.5 million users through its eFax and jConnect brands.
The company has an inventory of 5 million phone numbers in 550 cities
around the world.  That's already a decent start in transitioning from
the post office to safer (and much faster) delivery of correspondence.
Plus there are other providers that offer similar fax to e-mail
delivery.

It's nuts that government spends a fortune to deal with Anthrax cases
after they happen and ignores an alternative that would greatly reduce
the fear of poisoned letters.

Jack Rieley

Sources on the web:
www.j2.com