Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Size made Spores Dead-er (...Questionable data alert...)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 03:26:10 -0400

From: "Ethan Ackerman" <eackerma () u washington edu>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

David,
I know your comment the past several days has been that politicians don't
seem to reliably give the right data, they just get quoted and the truth
comes as a footnote, so I thought I should start the footnoting process...
(or be corrected shortly by a more informed source :)

Here's the suspicious data:
The Washington Post article quotes Sen. Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) as identifying
particulate size, as milled,  of the Daschle office particulates at 1.5 -3
micron size (that is .0015 - .003 millimeters).
(see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47864-2001Oct24.html )

Those numbers should catch a cell biologist's eye. (They caught mine, and
I'm only undergrad biochemist turned law student...)
That is a small particulate size, about the size of the bacillus itself,
possibly smaller.

A quick Net search revealed:
The Anthrax bacteria is a bacillus (bacillus anthracis), which is apparently
about 1 micron in diameter and 5 microns long (imagine a pop-can shaped
bacteria)
(see
http://www.who.int/emc-documents/zoonoses/docs/whoemczdi986.html#_Hlk4366340
50 )

The spore (which is basically the only way airborne Anthrax is transmitted,
and what we're concerned with here) is a different stage in the bacteria's
life cycle, it seems to be smaller, 1-3 microns in diameter, and more round.
(see http://www.bio.psu.edu/People/Faculty/Whittam/apdbase/b22.html )
For comparison, the average human ( or other eukaryotic cell) is closer to
50 microns in diameter.

The point: If the medium that the bacteria is cultured in is being ground as
finely as claimed, many if not most of the cells are being destroyed.

For comparison, "plate" a bunch of humans onto a large floor of an
auditorium by having them lie down in a random but close together pattern.
Using a circular "cookie-cutter" 7 foot in diameter, stamp your way across
the floor.  How many of those stamps left an entirely intact human? (gory,
but you get the point.)

I suppose the sheer quantity of particles could statistically overcome this,
or that the spores "ooze" to one side of the grinding blade during
processing, reducing cell destruction, but it still seems awfully small.

Trying to find a silver lining, if the milling was as fine as reported,
maybe that was why none of the 30 reported exposures in Sen. Daschle's
office have resulted in contagion.  They were just inhaling ground up
particles that had, on average, 1/3 to 2/3 of a single bacillus anthracis
cell.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/25/national/25CND-ANTH.html

-Ethan

Ethan Ackerman
Senior Research Fellow, Center for Law, Commerce & Technology
University of Washington School of Law
1100 NE Campus Parkway
Seattle, WA 98105
Tel:  206.440.0853/Fax: 206.616.3427