Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Callers to wireless phones abroad discover hefty surcharges attached

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:07:20 -0400

From: "Shaw, Robert" <Robert.Shaw () itu int>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

ITU had a workshop last year on the problems with
mobile termination rates - exacerbated by the
effects of some countries (e.g., US & Canada) using
Receiving-Party-Pays (RPP) while the rest of the
world typically uses Calling-Party-Pays (CPP) (e.g.,
in GSM markets). There's lots of background
material at http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/ni/fmi/workshop/.

What's clear to me is that with 2.5G & 3G mobile data
services deployment, we're going to need some radical
new models for interconnection & roaming.

Robert Shaw
--
Robert Shaw <robert.shaw () itu int>
ITU Internet Strategy and Policy Advisor

eless_phones_abroad_discover_hefty_surcharges_attached+.shtml

> For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/