Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: FUTURE OF WIRELESS INTERNET: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:04:13 -0400

From: "Alan A. Reiter" <reiter () wirelessinternet com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave,

I've been analyzing leading-edge wireless voice and data products for 23
years.  There is no single killer application or technology that will make
wireless data services a success.  Location is merely one aspect  that could
help make a difference -- if many other aspects come together.

Business people and consumers do want wide area wireless Internet in their
pocket.  I get calls and e-mail from around the world.  The problem is
people can't get what they want ("I want to get my e-mail and surf the Web a
little") -- and location is NOT at the top or middle of their list.

Currently, the cellular network operators mislead the public by promoting
"wireless Internet" -- which is typically CDPD at a true data rate of 14K
bps (more or less, often less), using phones with rotten ergonomics and
maintaining so-called "walled garden" for content.  We are already seeing
cellular carriers trying to maintain a walled garden (read: walled prison)
for new Java applications and continuing to make it difficult for developers
to work with them.

Customer education -- on an ongoing basis -- about how to use existing
services more efficiently?  Forget it.  Network operators don't want to
spend the money.  The wireless industry isn't even effectively marketing the
services that ARE valuable right now, let alone "wireless services we
haven't yet seen."

As for "sometime in the next few years we will find ourselves surrounded by
a pervasive, always-on network" -- that is rubbish.  Within the next few
years networks will offer packet data coverage and in-building penetration
that is -- if we are lucky -- **comparable** to existing 2G systems.  Many
network operators are already misleading the public about the speeds of GSM
GPRS networks, which are typically 10K bps upstream from the phone and 30K
bps downstream to the network.  Network operators, infrastructure
manufacturers and handset vendors are struggling to get 3G to operate so
that all the components operate efficiently.  Handset software and cell
handoff software are taking lots of time to optimize.

Location services indeed make sense, and the attacks of September 11 have
sparked the U.S. government to take a closer look at the waiver requests of
the cellular operators.  We only need to offer a seamless nationwide
location solution or integrate multiple technologies, deal with privacy and
security issues, product the handsets, work with myriad public safety
organizations, educate the public, etc.  Simple, isn't it?

Never believe anyone who says "once we get THIS...wireless will be
wonderful."  Wireless data requires numerous components to come together,
and the process is agonizingly slow.

Alan
Alan A. Reiter, president
Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing