Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Life during wartime

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:45:35 -0400

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:37:33 -0400
From: Richard Fritzson <fritzson () cs umbc edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Life during wartime

This often repeated argument misses the point.

Many people opposed to the proposed limits on our liberties feel that one of the purposes of calling the current actions a "war on terrorism" instead of a "campaign against terrorism" or some other more accurate term is to justify these repressive measures along with many other formerly unacceptable actions we are now being called on to endorse and support.

The words which frighten me most these days come from our Department of Defense which has already determined that "like the cold war, this war will last for years" and have suggested in interviews that "this war will last longer than our lifetime" or "we may be preparing for the next hundred year war".

These 'proposed limits on our liberties' may well be around for the rest of our lives. We should not talk about them as temporary wartime measures.

   Rich Fritzson

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/