Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: READ -- "Your Paper Please" say Ashcroft and Ellison, coming soon: Your Assets please?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:03:35 -0400

From: adw () connectnet com
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:37:23 -0700
To: declan () well com

Some not so obvious reasons to object to the so called "Anti Terrorism Bill" and it's massive internal surveillance apparatus and Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's call for a National ID card.

As an attorney, one of the things that scares me the most is the Federal Government's immense power under the RICO Statutes and it's asset forfeiture provisions. This article gives a good lay summary, albeit from a source the government has mocked and demonized. I have not reviewed any of the legal recommendations nor would I endorse them without such review. I submit it for it's utility on summarizing the dangers of increased federal power under the Terrorism Bill and with a National ID. Once Ellison gets into the game, not only will they track us, but they will know exactly where to hit you where it hurts because they will be able to efficiently track all our assets even as they change form and move throughout the economy.

Under the 4th ammendment law, if they can legally observe you, anything they find can basically be used as evidence or probably cause. Under the "Terrorism Bill" the limits of who they can observe are almost non existent. Those limits that do exist are full of holes. The net effect is that the Government would be able to cast a wide enough net to look at us all. Do we want such a country where the slightest transgression or facetious remark can be used against us as a RICO predicate to charge conspiracy? Do you want your house seized because the Federal Internal Surveillance net found that your teenager is selling pot out of the basement?

Many RICO forfeitures are done without any person being charged with a crime. They take your property and make you fight to get it back. This can cost tens of hundreds of thousands of dollars. The burden of proof is on the party who's assets were seized. Police get to keep the booty. Talk about a perverse incentive. One caveat. This article comes from a member of the line of thought of the so called "common law patriot movement". I take no position on their ideology and do not support the fringe members tactics. One must however acknowledge that the seeds of discontent are being sown in this country. These people and the word "Patriot" have been demonized by the Federal Government. Who would have ever thought that people who objected to a massive federal power structure which has usurped it's granted powers under the Constitution would be called crazies? They may or may not have the right analysis or strategy. They do see the problem. So did the founders of our great Nation. I hope we won't let power mongers such as Ashcroft or his mignon Ellison take away from our children the chance for a life unfettered by an all seeing and every meddling government. God help America. We need it. Please help.

"Most [revolutions] have been [ended] by a subversion of that liberty [they were] intended to establish." --Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1784. ME 4:218, Papers 7:106

"What institution is insusceptible of abuse in wicked hands?" --Thomas Jefferson to L. H. Girardin, 1815. ME 14:270

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Kentucky Resolutions, 1798. ME 17:380

Churchill, Winston Leonard Spencer --On the eve of Britain's entry into World War II "If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be even a worse fate. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.

[...]

*********

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/