Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Memo to America: Get a grip!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:36:07 -0400

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:00:01 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Denise Caruso <caruso () hybridvigor org>
Subject: Re: IP: Memo to America: Get a grip!

Dear Dave,

OK, well, maybe we ought to get a grip. Or maybe not. Anyone who groks the reality of the chart at the URL below (scroll down a screen) should begin experiencing regular frissons of cold terror that go far beyond teeth-chattering, no matter what 'class' you happen to belong to.

http://www.cns.miis.edu/research/cbw/domestic.htm

My immediate reaction upon seeing this was, 'Oh, great. Our lives, in the hands of the (n) Stooges of the Apocalypse.' IMHO, it is an absolute study in ineffectuality, and at this point you certainly don't have to take _my_ word for it.

As the friend who sent it to me (and who consults at high levels on bioterrorism) said, 'A cartoonist couldn't have done that deliberately.'

The only good news is that there actually are some smart people, deep in the bowels of this mess, who know how bad the situation is and are quietly trying to pull it together. Granted, we could all do without Cipromania et al., which only exacerbates an untenable situation. But that doesn't mean paranoia is unwarranted, or delusional.

Denise

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/