Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "Maybe we should brand all babies." -- our national ID #'s

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:48:30 -0400

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:33:10 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: Re: IP: "Maybe we should brand all babies." -- our national ID #'s

Dave -- Your subject-line/title for the previous posting, about a national ID card, reminded me:

The United States already *has* a system for assigning a *unique* national identity-number to each child of U.S. parents receiving a birth certificate. It has been operating at least since the early 1990's; perhaps for several decades.

It has nothing to do with the error-laden Social Security numbering system.

This birth-based numbering system is administered by the National Center for Health Statistics and provides the clerk-recorder of each county (and parish, in Louisiana) with a number range that is unique to that jurisdiction and endlessly expandable to cover any number of births in the future.

I first heard about it in 1994, from Ed Hernandez, then (and perhaps still) the Director of the Bureau of Records and Statistics for San Francisco's Depart of Public Health. He casually mentioned it, during a meeting of representatives of various California County Recorders in which I participated as a pro-bono computer consultant -- and outlined the above details to me, when I asked about it (three years after organizing and chairing the First Conference on Computers, Freedom & Privacy in 1991).

So ... we already have a SOUND basis for a national id number -- issued at the time of birth, as part of the birth certificate.

Now, following the lead of a well-known previous government, that was equally supportive of similarly zealous citizen tracking -- this unique birth-number can easily be tattooed onto each baby ... perhaps as a bar-code. After all, we vassals WANT enforcers to be able to id us irrefutably at any time ... right?

--jim
Jim Warren; jwarren () well com, technology & public policy columnist & advocate
345 Swett Rd, Woodside CA 94062; voice/650-851-7075; fax/off due to spam-glut

[self-inflating puffery: Playboy Foundation Hugh Hefner First-Amendment Award;
Soc.of Prof.Journalists-Nor.Calif. James Madison Freedom-of-Information Award;
founded InfoWorld, Dr.Dobb's Journal, and Computers, Freedom & Privacy Confs.;
Electronic Frontier Foundation's Pioneer Award (in its first year), blah blah]

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/