Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Ham radios in the aftermath of 11 Sep 2001 (Murnane, R-21.68): [risks] Risks Digest 21.70

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:38:46 -0400

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:06:04 -0400
From: Jack Decker <jack () novagate com>
Subject: Re: Ham radios in the aftermath of 11 Sep 2001 (Murnane, R-21.68)

With all due respect to Mr. Jonz and Mr. Collinsworth, the problems that
amateur radio operators are having with government officials are, in my
opinion, largely a product of their own attitudes.  Those who promote Linux
and other alternative operating systems could take a lesson from this as
well.

Not too many years ago, there was a requirement that was considered
absolutely essential for getting into ham radio: That you know Morse code at
5 words per minute.  That may not seem like a huge obstacle (particularly to
those who found it easy) but in a way it's like playing the piano - some
people pick it up naturally and can "play it by ear", some struggle with it
but do well enough to get by (IF they have sufficient motivation), and some
are completely tone deaf - no matter how they try, it just doesn't make
sense to them.  The amateur radio community has steadfastly refused to
acknowledge that the latter group could even possibly exist.

But what was worse was the attitude of many hams whenever someone advocated
dropping the code requirement.  Their attitude was that the code acted as a
"lid filter" which kept the "undesirables" (read: former CB radio operators)
out of ham radio.

The result of this was that there were many kids like myself, who had the
interest and knowledge of electronics back in the 60's and 70's, but who
found the code an insurmountable barrier.  Having been this excluded from
the exclusive group of those who could "pound brass", we found it hard to
figure out why we should care what happens to ham radio in the future.  We
moved on to other things, like computers and the Internet.

Then a little over a decade ago, U.P.S. (the folks who deliver packages
using brown trucks) petitioned for some 2-meter frequencies that were carved
right out of the ham bands.  A lot of hams were so arrogant that they
thought there wasn't a chance that the FCC would give away any of their
precious spectrum to a commercial interest.  Well, they got a rude
awakening, and suddenly decided that perhaps it would be in their best
interest to allow folks into certain classes of amateur radio without the
code requirement, although even that did not happen without a lot of
"kicking and screaming" by the older hams.

But even then, they reserved the higher classes of amateur licenses - the
ones that had access to frequencies capable of spanning long distances - for
those that could decipher Morse Code at a higher rate of speed.  Even though
some hams (and potential hams) had absolutely zero desire to communicate
using Morse Code, the requirement was still forced upon them by the "old
guard".  Wouldn't want any former C.B.'ers communicating with people
overseas, you know!

Well, guess what - that generation that the hams snubbed is the generation
that's now holding political offices.  Many of those who know enough about
amateur radio that they are not voting out of total ignorance, also know
that they were welcomed on CB and told to go study the Morse Code (already a
dying form of communication) by the hams.

I see the same type of struggle happening today in the Linux community,
between those who feel that Linux should be made as easy to use as Windows,
and those who feel that people ought not to even be allowed to own a
computer unless they know how to use the command line interface (I've even
seen a few Linux folks suggest that computer users should be
licensed!). Fortunately, since the use of Linux is not licensed by any
government, vendors can make their own decisions as to how much
user-friendliness to incorporate into the product.

The risk is that if you set up something, be it a hobby or a computer
operating system, in such a way that it appears that you are making it
*deliberately* harder to learn than it needs to be, some folks either cannot
or will not make the effort, and those are lost opportunities for making
friends.  And it's also something that could come back to bite you in the
butt, should those of the "excluded" class ever reach positions of power.

Personally, I have good friends who are ham radio operators and yet I still
find it difficult to have much sympathy for the plight of hams as expressed
by Mr. Jonz and Mr. Collinsworth.  From where I sit, the hams (or at least
their predecessors in the hobby) brought much of it on themselves.

Jack Decker

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/