Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Chairman Sees No Intelligence Failure (or you got to e kidding djf)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 09:03:05 -0400

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 8:15 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- There was no major intelligence failure by the U.S. government in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee said Tuesday.
``Not at all,'' Rep. Porter Goss, R-Fla., said on CBS' ``The Early Show.''

``It was a combined failure of all our government protection assets just not having the right information on the right day,'' said Goss, a former CIA agent. ``We've got plenty of areas we can improve, but I don't want anyone to get the idea that that was a great intelligence failure. ``If it was anything, it was probably 'who would have expected an atrocity of that magnitude?''' he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Attacks-Intelligence.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/