Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Canada Overrides Patent for Cipro to Treat Anthrax -- 2 items worth reading

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:08:17 -0400

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:39:11 -0400
From: Dan Steinberg <synthesis () videotron ca>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Canada Overrides Patent for Cipro to Treat Anthrax

David Farber wrote:

> [ I hope we don't need the drugs but the fact  our government refuses to
> order cheap generics bothers me. I hope Bayer does not contribute to any
> election pots.  djf]
>
> Canada, taking an unusual step that the United States has resisted, said
> yesterday that it had overridden Bayer's patent for Cipro, an antibiotic to
> treat anthrax, and ordered a million tablets of a generic version from a
> Canadian company.

Dave,

I've been following the events since 9/11 with great interest, and my main
sources have been (and continue to be) your list and CNN (in that order). What
has impressed me most is the quality of information here. You, with your limited resources to check things, manage to get it right first time waaaaaaaay more than
C "all anthrax all the time" NN. I believe in most cases, it is because you
bother to check things, something news services appear to have forgotten to do.
Or is it that you know the right people to ask?

What I want to bring up today (pardon the somewhat disjointed rant), is a
continuation of a theme that started almost immediately: the tendency to either
overreact or react to a problem that isn't there. This started fist with the
regulations about  the elimination of curbside checkin. I remember right away
comment here on this list to the effect of 'what kinda threat does this
eliminate?'.

In times of stress there seems to be a 'need' for people to act. I remember
reading something (I believe in Time) about the people of the city of Marietta, Ohio. Although they were as far from NYC or DC as you can get, they were deeply
affected by the tragedy and worried about local threats.

Today I thinking about anthrax. I went to see my doctor today (for something
totally unrelated to infectious diseases) and took advantage of her knowledge to
ask this question;
"Listen....I have read about antibiotic resistance and how if we use antibiotics
indiscriminately we end up with resistant strains. I know the drill. I studied
molecular biology and some drug biochemistry. Can you tell me....how something that has been bottle up the lab all these years, not out there being treated (and mis-treated) with antibiotics....can you tell me please why the drug they use is
CIPRO?
When did anthrax become penicillin-resistant?"

...dead silence...

So I did a bit of research...seems that anthrax does respond to a number of other
antibiotics...so why is CIPRO on everyone's lips?
why is a senator talking about getting around Bayer's intellectual property and
going generic? Why did I read about Canada's action (above)?[1]

Is this a case of groupthink, someone saying something and the rest of the room
nodding heads?

I know anthrax is scary, but is that any reason to rush off in all directions at once? This isnnt the first mis-information about anthrax propagated. I remember when the anthrax story first broke...it seemed like everyone was testing positive on the spot. I remember thinking 'that cant be right? they cant culture bacillus on the spot. Its gotta take hours not seconds to culture". OK. so the newshounds
knew that they had erred. Perhaps this would cause them to better check the
information?

Wellllllllllllllllll nope. Another one: soon after the anthrax scare came out,
some talking head said... 'its gotta take millions and billions of dollars to
culture anthrax...Onlythe most advanced nations can do it."
I was thinking ...no...............I could do it on the stovetop....well not on
the stovetop but in a fermenter for sure...Last time I checked I was a
middle-class entitiy no where near large nationhood.

Then....when someone else with a bio degree called them on it, that statement was
changed (by a different talking head) to... 'ok its easy to make but it takes
million-dollar machine to get the right particle size"...

and I thought...hmmmmmm nobody ever heard of filters?????  no one thought of
using columns and gels?

and sure enough...soon someone said it didnt need that fancy equipment there were
other ways to get the size down...

Then...when everyone got scared about the mail system I was thinking...
Geeez...this bug cant be that hard to kill. heat should do it... or why not use
those oh-so-controversial irradiating machines they use for food?  A few gamma
rays and its all good, right?"

Was I surprised when someone testified to taht effect before congress? welll by
this time.... I WAS!!!!!
finally I thought...here's someone thinking and not panicking...
someone should hire this this person. Someone should put this person on that
Presidents Council for Critical Infrastructure.

Look I'm no genius. I'm not a doctor. And my biology/biochem knowledge is more
than a decade away from being current. So how is it that just sitting watching
CNN (or a canadian news channel CNN by no means has a monopoly), every time I
turn on the tube I can sit there and say 'noooooooo that can't be right' and go
upstairs and within 5 minutes find authoritative references.

But this goes beyond reporting. Were it simply reporters in a rush, I would be
content to do the armchair second-guessing thing.  But it's not. People in
government are making decisions, like rushing off to buy CIPRO, deciding to
require printed receipts with e-tickets, etc etc....

I think if the US is going into a protracted conflict, the last thing it needs is
to be expending more energy than it needs.
I think the best and the brightest have to find a way to come forward....

Dave, I don't mind if you print this rambe, but my intent was more this: you know people in DC. Is there anyone there you can send this to that might get someone
to pause and take a deep breath?

[1]As an aside, Canada has a thriving generic drug industry because of compulsory
licencing built into the law. I havent had time to check but for all we know
there is already generic for Cipro available and no patent-busting is taking
place.
--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin  phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec  fax:   (819) 827-4398
J9B 1N1                 e-mail:synthesis () videotron ca

and