Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: re: Anthrax Case Six Steps to Take When Envelope is Opened and the Powder Is Found

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:41:16 -0400

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:57:08 -0600
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: Re: IP: Anthrax Case Six Steps to Take When Envelope is Opened
  and the Powder Is Found

At 06:44 AM 10/17/2001, David Farber wrote:

>Anthrax Case: Six Steps to Take When Envelope is Opened and the Powder Is Found >October 17, 2001 (TOKYO) -- Cases involving anthrax are increasing in the United States, and so if a suspicious letter is delivered, opened, and powder is found in it, here's a list of what to do.

Another problem related to the anthrax scare is that many people are
sufficiently frightened -- and sufficiently unknowledgeable -- to treat
ANY KIND OF POWDER, including be it flour, talc, or instant pudding mix,
as if it were a threat.

Here's an example that may affect me in the near future. I play a unique
and rare musical instrument called the Ashbory Bass (http://www.ashbory.com/).
It's a bass guitar that produces a very deep and rich tone but is
small enough to carry aboard an airplane rather than trusting to the
Neanderthals that the airlines euphemistically call "baggage handlers."
The instrument's secret: the strings are made not of metal or nylon but of
silicone rubber.

Silicone rubber is a wonderful substance acoustically, but has a tendency
to stick to the player's fingers. So, Ashbory players routinely powder
their fingers (I use corn starch) to eliminate the stickiness. I keep a
small "Zip-Lok" bag of corn starch in the instrument's bag at all times.

Anthrax spores are black or dark brown, and anyone who knows this
would have no reason to suspect the bag of white powder in my instrument
case. But it appears from news reports -- in which one man was arrested
for putting Tide in an envelope! -- that people are unaware of this, and
that a security screener could cause a panic and have me detained or
arrested if the innocent bag of corn starch was discovered. So, I must
take special pains either to take the bag out or to place it in checked
luggage (and hope that it is not discovered THERE). If I forgot to do
this, or if I had not recognized that the current hysteria might cause a
problem over a bit of corn starch, I could be arrested as a terrorist and
held for some indeterminate time while the matter was straightened out.

It is a sad time indeed in America when a musician can be arrested for
carrying a little corn starch with which to powder his fingers. The
terrorists have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

--Brett Glass

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/