Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: USSID 18 - Procedures on NSA collection data on "U.S. persons"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:54:18 -0400

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:52:34 -0500
From: John Lyon <jelyon () jelyon com>
To: dave () farber net

Out of curiosity I went hunting for info on the United States Signals Intelligence Directives (USSIDs) I had to be aware of in a former line of work.

Much to my surprise, USSID 18, which outlines procedures for the NSA's collection of data on "U.S. persons" was declassified just over a year ago.

I thought the document might be of interest to IPers, especially at this time.

An introduction, and links to the archives can be found at:

     http://cipherwar.com/news/00/nsa_surveillance.htm

(From the site above:)

In the aftermath of revelations in the 1970s about NSA interception of the communications of anti-war and other political activists new procedures were established governing the interception of communications involving Americans. The version of USSID 18 currently in force was issued in July 1993 and "prescribes policies and procedures and assigns responsibilities to ensure that the missions and functions of the United States SIGINT System (USSS) are conducted in a manner that safeguards the constitutional rights of U.S. persons."

(And a bit from USSID 18, itself - any errors in transcription are my fault:)

SECTION 1 - PREFACE

1.1. (U) The Fourth Amendment ot the Unites States Constitution protects
all U.S. persons anywhere in the world and all persons within the United
States from unreasonable searches and seizures by any person or agency
acting on behalf of the U.S. Government. The Supreme Court has ruled that
the interception of electronic communications is a search and seizure
within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. It is therefore mandatory that
signals intelligence (SIGINT) operations be conducted pursuant to
procedures which meet the reasonableness requirements of the fourth
amendment.

1.2. (U) In determining whether United States SIGING System (USSS)
operations are "reasonable," it is necessary to balance the U.S.
Government's need for foreign intelligence information and the privacy
interests of persons protected by the Fourth Amendment. Striking that
balance has consumed much time and effort by all branches of the United
States Government. The results of that effort are reflected in the
references listed in Section 2 below. Together, these references require
the minimization of U.S. person information collected, processed, retained
or disseminated by the USSS. The purpose of this document is to implement
these minimization requirements.

1.3. (U) Several themes run throughout this USSID. The most important is
that intelligence operation and the protection of constitutional rights are
not incompatible. It is not necessary to deny legitimate foreign
intelligence collection or suppress legitimate foreign intelligence
information to protect the Fourth Amendment rights of U.S. Persons.

1.4. (U) Finally, these minimization procedures implement the
constitutional principle of "reasonableness" by giving different categories
of individuals and entities different levels of protection. These levels
range from the stringent protection accorded U.S. citizens and permanent
resident aliens in the United States to provisions relating to foreign
diplomats in the U.S. These differences reflect yet another main theme of
these procedures, that is, that the focus of all foreign intelligence
operation is on foreign entities and persons.
JEL

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/