Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: We are Pretty Proud of this one

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:18:00 -0400

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from reader Dave Hughes.  DLH]

From: "Dave Hughes" <dave () oldcolo com>
To: <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: We are Pretty Proud of this one
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:41:07 -0700

War, or no war, progress continues. After overcoming a bunch of
obstacles on the ground, in getting a complex set of wireless devices to
work - connected to sets of 'data loggers' in a wilderness area of
central Alaska, then linking the serial wireless links to the Internet
at a Rocket Range 38 miles northeast of Fairbanks at Caribou Peak and
Poker Flats the University did their job back in warm Fairbanks, and
completed the link to a universally accessible web site. Which is even
used by the US Military.

Take a look at:

<http://www.uaf.edu/water/projects/cpcrw/metdata/cpcrw-hourly.html>

and you will see the cryptic notations of real-time data coming from the
land of snow and blow and awfully cold temperatures in places one can
only reach by ATVs - in season. (we are braced for -60 in the low ground
in the dead of winter). They have chosen to grab the data daily,
although it is possible to get it complete and real time, anytime.

I'm proud of this achievement. Its one of the few complete models for
environmental and biological scientists that doesn't require the entire
US Treasury, big rigs, licensed radios, and non-scalable solutions, or
accessibility only by specialized software from select locations. Your
taxes at work. I'll demonstrate it at a scientific gathering end of this
month. (This is linked to the possible use of our wireless expertise to
monitoring water and other vital resources for the earliest possible
signs of terrorist tampering out beyond easy patrolling)

In a week or so I will have the narrative, with still pictures AND our
first trial online 'video' (Quicktime, later MS Media format) of parts
of the project online on <http://wireless.oldcolo.com>. From now on you
get movies!

Footnote. The area of Alaska we did this in is apparently more dangerous
than we thought. Its not that far from Livingood where that drunken
sourdough nut fired a bullet into the pipeline. He might have been
plinking our radios next! Guess I'll go armed into the Alaskan tundra
next time. <grin> I carried a gat in Korean winter about 50 years ago.
Guess I can do it again!

Dave Hughes
dave () oldcolo com

For archives see: http://lists.elistx.com/archives/interesting-people/