Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: 'This is a Religious War'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:36:38 -0400

From: "Jim Hake" <jim () persistx com>
To: "Dave Farber" <farber () central cis upenn edu (Dave Farber)>
Subject: NY Times: 'This is a Religious War'
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:33:39 -0700

Dave,

The following article from the NY Times is the best I've read on our battle
against terrorism.  Please read it.  Here is the nutshell:

"That is why this coming conflict is indeed as momentous and as grave as the
last major conflicts, against Nazism and Communism, and why it is not
hyperbole to see it in these epic terms. What is at stake is yet another
battle against a religion that is succumbing to the temptation to rule by
force. The difference is that this conflict is against a more formidable
enemy than Nazism or Communism."

I'm sure you find that as troubling as I do.  Nonetheless, it's our duty to
understand the nature of the threat we face. We owe it to ourselves, our
children and future generations.

Also highly recommended: Jonathan Alter, Newsweek "Blame America At Your Own
Peril"
http://www.msnbc.com/news/639242.asp?0sp=w17b10

I hope this message finds you well.

Jim

THIS IS A RELIGIOUS WAR
NY Times Magazine, October 7, 2001
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/07/magazine/07RELIGION.html

By Andrew Sullivan

Perhaps the most admirable part of the response to the conflict that began
on Sept. 11 has been a general reluctance to call it a religious war.
Officials and commentators have rightly stressed that this is not a battle
between the Muslim world and the West, that the murderers are not
representative of Islam. President Bush went to the Islamic Center in
Washington to reinforce the point. At prayer meetings across the United
States and throughout the world, Muslim leaders have been included alongside
Christians, Jews and Buddhists.

The only problem with this otherwise laudable effort is that it doesn't hold
up under inspection. The religious dimension of this conflict is central to
its meaning. The words of Osama bin Laden are saturated with religious
argument and theological language. Whatever else the Taliban regime is in
Afghanistan, it is fanatically religious. Although some Muslim leaders have
criticized the terrorists, and even Saudi Arabia's rulers have distanced
themselves from the militants, other Muslims in the Middle East and
elsewhere have not denounced these acts, have been conspicuously silent or
have indeed celebrated them. The terrorists' strain of Islam is clearly not
shared by most Muslims and is deeply unrepresentative of Islam's glorious,
civilized and peaceful past. But it surely represents a part of Islam -- a
radical, fundamentalist part -- that simply cannot be ignored or denied.

In that sense, this surely is a religious war -- but not of Islam versus
Christianity and Judaism. Rather, it is a war of fundamentalism against
faiths of all kinds that are at peace with freedom and modernity. This war
even has far gentler echoes in America's own religious conflicts -- between
newer, more virulent strands of Christian fundamentalism and mainstream
Protestantism and Catholicism. These conflicts have ancient roots, but they
seem to be gaining new force as modernity spreads and deepens. They are our
new wars of religion -- and their victims are in all likelihood going to
mount with each passing year.

Osama bin Laden himself couldn't be clearer about the religious
underpinnings of his campaign of terror. In 1998, he told his followers,
''The call to wage war against America was made because America has
spearheaded the crusade against the Islamic nation, sending tens of
thousands of its troops to the land of the two holy mosques over and above
its meddling in its affairs and its politics and its support of the
oppressive, corrupt and tyrannical regime that is in control.'' Notice the
use of the word ''crusade,'' an explicitly religious term, and one that
simply ignores the fact that the last few major American interventions
abroad -- in Kuwait, Somalia and the Balkans -- were all conducted in
defense of Muslims.

<snip>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/