Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: :The Day The World Came To Its Senses?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 05:52:55 -0400

Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 22:24:51 -0700
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ultradevices com>

The Day The World Came To Its Senses?
By Bill Moore
http://evworld.com/databases/storybuilder.cfm?storyid=245

This week, Phil Watts, the chairman of Royal Dutch Shell, gave a
remarkable speech in New York, just three weeks after the tragedy of
September 11th.

Accustomed to making and approving business decisions and technology
plans that extend decades into the future, Watts told an audience
assembled under the auspices of the United Nations Development
Program, that Shell, one of the largest oil companies in the world,
was preparing for the "End of the Hydrocarbon Age."

He painted two possible scenarios he termed, "Dynamics as Usual" and
"The Spirit of the Coming Age."

Under the first scenario, Shell envisions an "evolutionary" carbon
shift from coal to natural gas to renewables. Petroleum's current 40
percent global energy share will drop to 25 percent by 2050. Natural
gas market share will climb to 20 percent while the remainder will
come from a combination of nuclear and various renewable sources.

Under "The Spirit of the Coming Age" scenario, the world would
experience a far more dramatic shift from carbon-intensive fuels to
hydrogen. Watt's stated this second scenario, "explores something
rather more revolutionary, the potential for a truly hydrogen economy,
growing out of new and exciting developments in fuel cells, advanced
hydrocarbon technologies and carbon dioxide sequestration."

Watts envisioned fuel cells beginning to reach serious market
penetration by 2025 and as a result dramatically altering the energy
landscape long before oil becomes scarce.

Watts isn't just talking the talk. He has pledged to walk the walk by
committing between $500 million and $1 billion over the next five
years to develop new energy businesses, concentrating primarily on
solar and wind energy.

Watts concluded his remarks by saying that oil companies can no longer
assume they will dominate the next 100 years as they have the previous
century. "That would be a very complacent view."

Phil Watt's comments in New York this week are truly remarkable in the
light of the events on and after September 11, 2001. Here is a major
oil company executive publicly stating that the world is changing and
his company plans to lead in this transition. He pointed out that not
only does he intend to make Shell "a prime mover in this transitional
period" but he also noted that "one in five of the world's population
does not have access to commercial energy. It is our goal to
contribute to the development of an affordable, sustainable energy
system which will help reduce this sort of inequality."

<snip>

The challenge of using hydrogen, however, also creates new
opportunities because it is best made and used on site, as
needed. There are few places on earth that don't have sufficient
sunlight and wind to make feasible the electrolysis of water from
photovoltaics or wind power. Given the sharp drop in the cost of wind
generated electricity, now as low as 4-5 cents per kilowatt and the
equally sharp decline in the cost of photovoltaic energy technology --
which is forecast to continue to drop even more -- it is entirely
possible that these technologies someday can be "married" to create a
practical, affordable, self-contained generation system that provides
a home, a business or a community with electricity, purified water and
sufficient heat to warm and cool buildings.

<snip>

Or instead of electrolyzing water, someday we could have waste water
treatment facilities that feed tanks of hydrogen-producing algae. This
approach promises to be even more cost-effective. Communities could
generate their own supply of hydrogen. The problem of transporting
hydrogen would be minimized if not eliminated.

 Imagine the community of the future where algae-produced hydrogen
powers fuel cells that produce electricity, clean water and district
or process heat. And because of advances in energy efficiency and
smart community planning, the homes and businesses in the community
will utilize far less than they do today.

 And in the spirit of Phil Watts' vision, this technology would be
available to all.  Rural villages in Malawi and Uzbekistan and
Honduras could have the energy they need to improve their quality of
life. The standard of living would go up, there would be greater
literacy, less environmental degradation and a lower birth rate.

<snip>

Is such a scenario feasible? Is it technically, economically, and
politically possible? I believe it is.

The bigger question is, "Can human nature adapt to this brave new
world?" That is the real unknown. We are resilient. We are
adaptive. And to be perfectly honest, do we have any other choice? The
wider the gulf grows between the have and have-nots of the world, the
more inequities we will see and the more terrorism we will experience.

The hydrogen economy won't solve the problem of human nature, but it
might just put us back in touch with the rhythms of the planet on
which we all depend.  Is this the impossible dream? Perhaps. I will be
the first to admit it is imperfect.  But I also believe it is one
worth dreaming and more importantly, striving to achieve. September
11th marks a great turning point in the history of man.  Which path we
take will determine whether it marks the beginning of the end or
just the end of the beginning.

--
Robert J. Berger
UltraDevices, Inc.