Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "Privacy laws are our biggest impediment to us obtaining our objectives" Eisner : Good Morning Silicon Valley Mon Oct 08 12:00:25 EDT 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 19:46:13 -0400

"Privacy laws are our biggest impediment to us obtaining our objectives". So said Disney chief Michael Eisner during <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/22087.html>an RIAA-hosted a "secret meeting" held in Washington DC last week to discuss the entertainment industry's ongoing assault against file-sharing technology etc.. During the meeting RIAA CEO Hillary Rosen regaled an audience that included Intel's Andy Grove; IBM's Lou Gerstner; and Jack Valenti, head of the Motion Picture Ass. of America with tales of the Association's forthcoming effort to destroy the "21st century piratical bazaar" that has allegedly cut so deeply into the industry's revenue (see "<http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/gmsv/archive01/morn10032001.htm>Avast, ye scurvy curs!") Said Rosen "we are working with sound card manufacturers to implement technology that will block the recording of watermarked content in both digital and analogue form".

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/