Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Airline Security Regulations and Biometrics in Airports: CRYPTO-GRAM SPECIAL ISSUE, September 30, 2001

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 03:59:46 -0400

                 CRYPTO-GRAM

              September 30, 2001

              by Bruce Schneier
               Founder and CTO
      Counterpane Internet Security, Inc.
           schneier () counterpane com
         <http://www.counterpane.com>

A free monthly newsletter providing summaries, analyses, insights, and commentaries on computer and network security.

Copyright (c) 2001 by Counterpane Internet Security, Inc.

This is a special issue of Crypto-Gram, devoted to the September 11 terrorist attacks and their aftermath.

Please distribute this issue widely.

In this issue:
     The Attacks
     Airline Security Regulations
     Biometrics in Airports
     Diagnosing Intelligence Failures
     Regulating Cryptography
     Terrorists and Steganography
     News
     Protecting Privacy and Liberty
     How to Help

<snip>

       Airline Security Regulations

Computer security experts have a lot of expertise that can be applied to the real world. First and foremost, we have well-developed senses of what security looks like. We can tell the difference between real security and snake oil. And the new airport security rules, put in place after September 11, look and smell a whole lot like snake oil.

All the warning signs are there: new and unproven security measures, no real threat analysis, unsubstantiated security claims. The ban on cutting instruments is a perfect example. It's a knee-jerk reaction: the terrorists used small knives and box cutters, so we must ban them. And nail clippers, nail files, cigarette lighters, scissors (even small ones), tweezers, etc. But why isn't anyone asking the real questions: what is the threat, and how does turning an airplane into a kindergarten classroom reduce the threat? If the threat is hijacking, then the countermeasure doesn't protect against all the myriad of ways people can subdue the pilot and crew. Hasn't anyone heard of karate? Or broken bottles? Think about hiding small blades inside luggage. Or composite knives that don't show up on metal detectors.

Parked cars now must be 300 feet from airport gates. Why? What security problem does this solve? Why doesn't the same problem imply that passenger drop-off and pick-up should also be that far away? Curbside check-in has been eliminated. What's the threat that this security measure has solved? Why, if the new threat is hijacking, are we suddenly worried about bombs?

The rule limiting concourse access to ticketed passengers is another one that confuses me. What exactly is the threat here? Hijackers have to be on the planes they're trying to hijack to carry out their attack, so they have to have tickets. And anyone can call Priceline.com and "name their own price" for concourse access.

Increased inspections -- of luggage, airplanes, airports -- seem like a good idea, although it's far from perfect. The biggest problem here is that the inspectors are poorly paid and, for the most part, poorly educated and trained. Other problems include the myriad ways to bypass the checkpoints -- numerous studies have found all sorts of violations -- and the impossibility of effectively inspecting everybody while maintaining the required throughput. Unidentified armed guards on select flights is another mildly effective idea: it's a small deterrent, because you never know if one is on the flight you want to hijack.

Positive bag matching -- ensuring that a piece of luggage does not get loaded on the plane unless its owner boards the plane -- is actually a good security measure, but assumes that bombers have self-preservation as a guiding force. It is completely useless against suicide bombers.

The worst security measure of them all is the photo ID requirement. This solves no security problem I can think of. It doesn't even identify people; any high school student can tell you how to get a fake ID. The requirement for this invasive and ineffective security measure is secret; the FAA won't send you the written regulations if you ask. Airlines are actually more stringent about this than the FAA requires, because the "security" measure solves a business problem for them.

The real point of photo ID requirements is to prevent people from reselling tickets. Nonrefundable tickets used to be regularly advertised in the newspaper classifieds. Ads would read something like "Round trip, Boston to Chicago, 11/22 - 11/30, female, $50." Since the airlines didn't check ID but could notice gender, any female could buy the ticket and fly the route. Now this doesn't work. The airlines love this; they solved a problem of theirs, and got to blame the solution on FAA security requirements.

Airline security measures are primarily designed to give the appearance of good security rather than the actuality. This makes sense, once you realize that the airlines' goal isn't so much to make the planes hard to hijack, as to make the passengers willing to fly. Of course airlines would prefer it if all their flights were perfectly safe, but actual hijackings and bombings are rare events and they know it.

This is not to say that all airport security is useless, and that we'd be better off doing nothing. All security measures have benefits, and all have costs: money, inconvenience, etc. I would like to see some rational analysis of the costs and benefits, so we can get the most security for the resources we have.

One basic snake-oil warning sign is the use of self-invented security measures, instead of expert-analyzed and time-tested ones. The closest the airlines have to experienced and expert analysis is El Al. Since 1948 they have been operating in and out of the most heavily terroristic areas of the planet, with phenomenal success. They implement some pretty heavy security measures. One thing they do is have reinforced, locked doors between their airplanes' cockpit and the passenger section. (Notice that this security measure is 1) expensive, and 2) not immediately perceptible to the passenger.) Another thing they do is place all cargo in decompression chambers before takeoff, to trigger bombs set to sense altitude. (Again, this is 1) expensive, and 2) imperceptible, so unattractive to American airlines.) Some of the things El Al does are so intrusive as to be unconstitutional in the U.S., but they let you take your pocketknife on board with you.

Airline security:
<http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101010924/bsecurity.html>
<http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/terrorism/atlanta/0925gun.html>

FAA on new security rules:
<http://www.faa.gov/apa/faq/pr_faq.htm>

A report on the rules' effectiveness:
<http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/266/nation/Passengers_say_banned_items_ha ve_eluded_airport_monitors+.shtml>

El Al's security measures:
<http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010912/18/israel-safe-aviation>
<http://news.excite.com/news/r/010914/07/international-attack-israel-elal-dc>

More thoughts on this topic:
<http://slate.msn.com/HeyWait/01-09-17/HeyWait.asp>
<http://www.tnr.com/100101/easterbrook100101.html>
<http://www.tisc2001.com/newsletters/317.html>

Two secret FAA documents on photo ID requirement, in text and GIF:
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/faa/guid/guid.txt>
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/faa/guid/guid.html>
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/faa/id/id.txt>
<http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/faa/id/id.html>

Passenger profiling:
<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-091501profile.story>

A CATO Institute report: "The Cost of Antiterrorist Rhetoric," written well before September 11:
<http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg19n4e.html>

I don't know if this is a good idea, but at least someone is thinking about the problem:
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2812283,00.html>

            Biometrics in Airports

You have to admit, it sounds like a good idea. Put cameras throughout airports and other public congregation areas, and have automatic face-recognition software continuously scan the crowd for suspected terrorists. When the software finds one, it alerts the authorities, who swoop down and arrest the bastards. Voila, we're safe once again.

Reality is a lot more complicated; it always is. Biometrics is an effective authentication tool, and I've written about it before. There are three basic kinds of authentication: something you know (password, PIN code, secret handshake), something you have (door key, physical ticket into a concert, signet ring), and something you are (biometrics). Good security uses at least two different authentication types: an ATM card and a PIN code, computer access using both a password and a fingerprint reader, a security badge that includes a picture that a guard looks at. Implemented properly, biometrics can be an effective part of an access control system.

I think it would be a great addition to airport security: identifying airline and airport personnel such as pilots, maintenance workers, etc. That's a problem biometrics can help solve. Using biometrics to pick terrorists out of crowds is a different kettle of fish.

In the first case (employee identification), the biometric system has a straightforward problem: does this biometric belong to the person it claims to belong to? In the latter case (picking terrorists out of crowds), the system needs to solve a much harder problem: does this biometric belong to anyone in this large database of people? The difficulty of the latter problem increases the complexity of the identification, and leads to identification failures.

Setting up the system is different for the two applications. In the first case, you can unambiguously know the reference biometric belongs to the correct person. In the latter case, you need to continually worry about the integrity of the biometric database. What happens if someone is wrongfully included in the database? What kind of right of appeal does he have?

Getting reference biometrics is different, too. In the first case, you can initialize the system with a known, good biometric. If the biometric is face recognition, you can take good pictures of new employees when they are hired and enter them into the system. Terrorists are unlikely to pose for photo shoots. You might have a grainy picture of a terrorist, taken five years ago from 1000 yards away when he had a beard. Not nearly as useful.

But even if all these technical problems were magically solved, it's still very difficult to make this kind of system work. The hardest problem is the false alarms. To explain why, I'm going to have to digress into statistics and explain the base rate fallacy.

Suppose this magically effective face-recognition software is 99.99 percent accurate. That is, if someone is a terrorist, there is a 99.99 percent chance that the software indicates "terrorist," and if someone is not a terrorist, there is a 99.99 percent chance that the software indicates "non-terrorist." Assume that one in ten million flyers, on average, is a terrorist. Is the software any good?

No. The software will generate 1000 false alarms for every one real terrorist. And every false alarm still means that all the security people go through all of their security procedures. Because the population of non-terrorists is so much larger than the number of terrorists, the test is useless. This result is counterintuitive and surprising, but it is correct. The false alarms in this kind of system render it mostly useless. It's "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" increased 1000-fold.

I say mostly useless, because it would have some positive effect. Once in a while, the system would correctly finger a frequent-flyer terrorist. But it's a system that has enormous costs: money to install, manpower to run, inconvenience to the millions of people incorrectly identified, successful lawsuits by some of those people, and a continued erosion of our civil liberties. And all the false alarms will inevitably lead those managing the system to distrust its results, leading to sloppiness and potentially costly mistakes. Ubiquitous harvesting of biometrics might sound like a good idea, but I just don't think it's worth it.

Phil Agre on face-recognition biometrics:
<http://dlis.gseis.ucla.edu/people/pagre/bar-code.html>

My original essay on biometrics:
<http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-9808.html#biometrics>

Face recognition useless in airports:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21916.html>
According to a DARPA study, to detect 90 per cent of terrorists we'd need to raise an alarm for one in every three people passing through the airport.

A company that is pushing this idea:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/21882.html>

A version of this article was published here:
<http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D1024%2526a%253D15070,00.asp>

<snip>

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/