Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Getting our side explained

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:05:28 -0500

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:58:53 -0500
From: Brent Hunsaker <brent.hunsaker () alcatel com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Getting our side explained

David,

Over the weekend I watched a few programs which focused on the Afghans
and the Muslim world and their concern about what the USA is doing. Many
do not understand why we are doing this or if they do they want to see
some proof regarding Ben Laden's guilt. In many interviews they would
give the USA its due regarding Sept. 11th, but they want to understand.
Lets take the opportunity to teach them about us.

How hard would it be for the USA to produce a series of programs that
would explain in historical terms why the US has a separation of church
and state? That due to the nature of man that if we allow the church to
lead the state we would return to oppressive religious conditions where
that one religion would repress the practice of other  religions. Since
many of us accept this without any discussion it might also help to
build a strong understanding of it here as well.

Many of our founding fathers were Master Masons as well, inserting the
teachings of Masonry into the fabric of our government. The
philosophical and historical background in Masonry would add to the
understanding of why we are this way. Ideas of being able to freely
travel and the right to practice one's religion freely, without
molestation being just a couple.

This idea of John Locke that sovereignty flows from the people to their
government not from God to the royal houses and then to the government
(the trickle up effect vs the trickle down effect of power). Show that
the US is not looking for a Utopian world but just one that will
function with our freedoms intact. A place where if those freedoms are
attacked there is in place a system that will punish those that would
take those freedoms away.

Since trials are public here show some of the trials of those who harmed
the Muslim people here. Explaining the process of trial advocacy for
those that are on trial. How the rights of all involved are maintained
as best a possible. Show that there is no  favoritism for one religion
over the other. That we fill that this freedom can only be maintained
under a separation of church and state.

I see such an opportunity here. Lets take it and see if it helps.

Brent Hunsaker

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/