Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: We're From the Government. We're Here to Help.:

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 07:34:42 -0500

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 23:16:17 -1000
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Reese <reeza () hawaii rr com>
Subject: Re: IP: We're From the Government. We're Here to Help.:

At 07:05 PM 11/2/01 -0500, David Farber forwarded:

>>http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20011102-22126654.htm
>>
>>We're From the Government. We're Here to Help.
>>
>>We've heard a lot lately about how the war has restored Americans'
>>faith in their government. Some parts of the government, though,
>>appear eager to squander this newfound public trust. The Washington
>>Times reports that the Postal Service, on the recommendation of the
>>Centers for Disease Control, bought 4.8 million face masks to
>>protect workers from contracting anthrax. But the Occupational
>>Safety and Health Administration is blocking their use. "According
>>to OSHA officials and regulations, the workers must undergo hours
>>of training and pass a 'fit test' before they can be allowed to use
>>the protective masks, which are like those worn by construction
>>workers who install drywall and can be purchased at hardware stores."

There are a number of things happening in this article, I cannot escape
the thought that all the scary stuff is at top and the meat is down at
the bottom.

The "...must undergo hours of training..." quote in the first paragraph
is being used to both scare and frighten, for example.  I have been
through the training many times and it was not an ordeal I had to
"undergo," it did not take me longer than one hour to receive training
and qualification on any specific respirator I've been trained on.

I'll cut to the heart of why I am responding:

The above quoted statement, "which are like those worn by construction
workers who install drywall and can be purchased at hardware stores."
is not entirely correct.

To block Anthrax spores in the 0.5 to 1.0 micron (i.e. the weaponized)
size range, something more than the recommended drywall dust/mist
respirator, such as http://www.allerx.com/8247.htm or
http://www.aosafety.com/diy/html/99493.htm or
http://www.wallboardtrim.com/drywall.htm must be used.

This

http://www.allerx.com/8233.htm

is a typical 3M HEPA respirator of the dust/mist/fume type (note the
yellow button) as are used by welders and some others and yes, if
used at an organizational level, a fit test is or should be required.
I have both given and received training on "how to get a good seal"
and to be blunt, the ability of some people to follow directions
imperfectly is both legendary and embarrassing.

The article does not specify which type of respirator was purchased,
it is quite likely that http://www.allerx.com/8247.htm or similar is
what the Wash.Times article author was referring to.  It is the type
preferred by knowledgeable and cost efficient construction workers
who install drywall (note the price difference) and it is more likely
to be found in hardware stores than the ~/~/fume respirator.  While
both types of respirator will work to stop drywall dust, the less
expensive unit will be more common so for the worker being paid by
the job, where will the unnecessary expense be identified and acted
upon?  </exercise for the reader>

Bottom line, I've been wearing respirators to protect myself from Lead,
Cadmium, Zinc (specifically) and other heavy metal fumes while welding
and brazing for over 15 years and yes, most of the postal workers will
need training on how to get a good seal.  If any of the male postal
workers have beards they will not be able to get a good seal until they
are cleanly shaven.

It isn't as simple as just giving the safety equipment to the people,
everyone who looked at only the above excerpt and formed their whole
opinion of the postal respirator situation from it, should read the
2nd half of the article closely, then go speak with someone who welds
professionally, if they still aren't convinced.

Reese

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/